1998 Johnson 175 hp Fast Strike

Austin_Bob

Cadet
I have a 1998 Johnson 175 hp Fast Strike (model J175GLECD), it wont start. I replaced the battery, spark plugs, drained the old gas and replaced it, removed the old oil and cleaned out the hoses for both the gas and oil. I checked that the plugs get a spark and I took off the air filter and can see gas going into the carbs. I only have the negative and positive cables hooked up to the battery, do I need any others to make it work?

I've also noticed that fuel was leaking from the service valve on the fuel pump. Not sure if I should expect to see this.

What else should I check to see if I can get it to start?

Thanks,
Bob

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1998 Johnson 175 hp Fast Strike

The usual routine is do a compression test.
Then a spark test, you can't do it by using spark plugs, you need a spark tester set to 7/16th inch gap.(yeh..almost half an inch gap!)
I would almost guarentee you have no spark when the proper test is performed.
Auto stores sell cheap spark gap testers, $10.

A bit of history would help, did it ever run good for you?

Austin_Bob

Cadet

The motor hasn't been started since 09, and it sat last year with fuel in the tank. I did notice in another thread that a guy was having a similar issue and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I will take your advice on the gap test, i'll check it on Saturday evening. Thanks for the response.

Bob W.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you can replace the red valve, if that is where the fuel leak is. you need to fix it. and then do above mentioned test..diagnosing a outboard is a process of elimination.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, I will order the parts for that valve tonight and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob W.

jonesg

Admiral

Service valve? sounds like the choke solenoid. Rebuild kit is $15. iBoats sells them.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Here is a picture of the valve or whatever it is, i'm doing research right now to identify the part. https://picasaweb.google.com/102636962912055736754/175FastStrike#

Ok, here is a link to a parts breakdown diagram of the part I am talking about, I believe it's part number 50 that is leaking.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...Johnson&section=Fuel+Bracket+&+Components

The question is, which parts exactly should I replace? For all I know, I may only need the small o-ring (part no. 51). What do you suggest?

Also, would this be enough to keep the engine from starting?

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, I went to 2 different auto parts stores, the only spark plug tester they had was to see if a spark was present. I did purchase starting fluid and sprayed it into the carbs, the engine fired up with no problem. I have noticed that my choke was not working, so now I am researching where and how my choke works. What I do know is that it is supposed to kick in when I depress my key in the ignition and turn it. Right now, there is no difference between just turning the key and depressing it, the butterflies in the carb do not move, regardless of how the key is inserted and turned.

Any thoughts on the ignition switch not working?

Ok, I found this post: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=308653&highlight=175+fast+strike+choke

Is this true for my engine too? It looks like the same part I took a picture of, linked above.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, the choke solenoid appears to be functional, as it sprays fluid when depressing the starter switch, which also appears to be functional. Maybe just a carb rebuild is in my future? If so, is this a time consuming process? Where is the best reference to complete this job?

Thanks for your help,
Bob W

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, so new development, I've also noticed that when I squeeze the gas ball, fuel leaks out of the pump assembly - here is a link to what that looks like. I am not sure if this is normal or if I need to replace anything in this assembly. It looks like it is just one piece that you would purchase, but I notice that there are torx screws on the front of the assembly, maybe it can come apart?

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC5007420&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

SparkieBoat

Captain

you need to fix all fuel leaks..if you want you can rebuild the fuel side of your VRO pump..or replace it with a new one. new o-rings or rebuild kit for the injector pump. DO NOT USE STARTER FLUID EVER AGAIN. if you must use mixed gas to spray in carbs. now if your injector pump is working you may have swollen intake manifold gaskets, I had this same problem with my 1995 150, the injected fuel passed though small slits in the gasket and mine had swollen and blocked the fuel passages. new gaskets fixed my problem and are probably your problem also. but be sure to fix all fuel leaks first.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, I understand about the starter fluid, won't do that again. Spent the last 10 - 15 min trying to research the rebuild kit for the VRO pump, couldn't find it. I am planning on purchasing the carb rebuild kit, and the service valve w/oring 18-0871, would like to add the rebuild kit to the order, if you can point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it. Also, here is a picture of the part that is leaking, when i squeeze the fuel bulb. https://picasaweb.google.com/102636962912055736754/175FastStrike#5586255761534122306

On a side note, the engine will start, but will only run for about 2-3 seconds before shutting off. My thinking is that with all of the fuel leaks, the engine is not getting enough fuel to stay running.

I've added a few more pics of where the fuel leak is coming from, I removed the 4 torx screws holding the faceplate in place, I guess that the small rubber gasket is just old and leaking.
https://picasaweb.google.com/102636962912055736754/175FastStrike#

What do you think?

SparkieBoat

Captain

possibly..a good carb cleaning is probably in order also. here is site that sells vro rebuild kit. http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html
now remember you cannot rebuild the oil side, that means you will need to premix your fuel and cap off vro oil side. I think there is a post in the secret files section on how to do this. If you want to continue to have the pump mix your oil you will be best to buy a new pump, rather than rebuild. do all this first before replacing the intake manifold gaskets, if engine continues to be hard to start but will start and run fine with a squirt of gas/oil mix, and engine runs fine after cranked, then you may need to replace those 2 gaskets. you can try finding new orings for the injector pump (thingy with the red lever)
or if fuel is coming from the red lever part you can order a new red lever that comes with new o-rings, I have replaced a few of those...and I have replaced too many vro fuel pumps to count.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

thanks for the link to the rebuild kit, is it common for fuel to leak from the VRO? I wonder if I can find a replacement ring for the VRO that I have. I am pretty sure that the leak is coming from around the rubber seal that can be seen here, between first and second parts on the top diagram, it looks like a teardrop. http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/VROpics/VROdrawings.gif

I would like to see if I can locate the gasket first, and if that doesn't work, and there are no alternatives, I guess I will have to replace the VRO, I am not comfortable with doing the fuel/oil mix, so more automated is better.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, I found a better example of the inner workings of the VRO pump, clearly, without the proper manuals I am having to track down everything online and see if it fits. I am going to purchase the pump, I guess that its better to replace it than to try to rig it up and have it fail on me.

Here is the link to the pic I found: http://media.photobucket.com/image/vro pump repair kit johnson/patczeck/vro719x632.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain

yes..if the unit fails it could blow your engine..not worth the risk.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok, replaced the VRO and the service maintenance valve, the engine still does not run properly, although I fixed the fuel leaks. The engine starts for about 1 to 2 seconds, there is a lot of smoke, then immediately dies. I have connected a hose to the lower unit for cooling, but the engine will not stay running.

I have noticed that when the engine dies, it sounds like there is some metal on metal rubbing, but that my be just me trying to over analyze the noises in the engine.

What are your thoughts? Anybody?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I probably missed it somewhere, but what results did you get from a spark and compression check??

Austin_Bob

Cadet

I wasn't able to locate a spark tester, but when i pulled the plug and turned the ignition, i did see the spark jump the gap. I have not completed a compression test yet. I will run to the auto store today and get the tool, then report back with my findings. I know a couple of years ago, when I had this motor in for repairs, the mechanic mentioned that 1 cylinder was low, but he didn't explain to me what that meant, so i didn't worry about it.

Austin_Bob

Cadet

Ok - Here are the results of the compression test and spark plug gap test:

Compression
Top Port: 100 Top Starboard: 110
Middle Port: 105 Middle Starboard: 105
Bottom Port: 95 Bottom Starboard: 95

I am only getting spark to the starboard bank, no spark to the port at all, on any of the plugs

I would hate to replace the power pack if it's not really the problem. I've read that there is a thing called a "shift interrupt switch", not sure if this is applicable to my issue. I am also replacing my ignition switch, as the current one does not require the safety cord in order to turn over the engine.