REPLECE NEEDLE BEARING TO BRONZE RODE BEARING ni Evinrude 4.5hp 1980

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Hi.
i bought very cheap motor.i'm trying to rebuilt it.
the problem is needle bearings.
i took apart powerhead and found needle bearings warm up.
i cant get new one(center bearing especialy), and mostly bearings are expensive.
i know the auto repair work shop and they told me to replase needle bearings to bronze washers(i dont know the proper word).
i know that old design motors used this type in old days and the mixture was 1:20.
is it worth to take this solution.to replace this 3 bearings:2 x no 11,and no 15
on bronze washers
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1980/E5RLCSS 1980/CRANKSHAFT & PISTON-4.5/parts.html

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: replace needle bearing ni Evinrude 4.5hp 1980

Your in Poland I see,I when I need bearings or bushings I go to a source, bushing and bearing company,They will take your deminsions and match it if they can.It is much better if you can find a company near you so you can take the item directly in to them.That way it can be matched over the counter.No need to have the motor name brand just the bearing.
My drive to a bearing and bushing Co.Is 100 miles but it is worth it!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As I understand it, you found the needle bearings worn out or for some other reason needing replacement. I never had that experience.

The techs at the auto repair shop suggsted that you replace the needle bearings with bronze bushings because the older versions of that same engine used bushings. Those older versions were mostly 3 and 3.5HP.

I don't think that is possible, raczekp1. The older version of that engine that had bronze bushings used a different crankcase, crankshaft, rods, pistons and. . . .well, almost everything.

I would continue trying to find the needle bearings. That is a wonderful little outboard and it deserves repair.

Good luck :)

raczekp1

Lieutenant

the proper word is Bronze rod bearings.
They charge me(auto repair shop) for the bearing and work total 70 $.
Its not that much if i compere the price of one needle bearing around 50$, but i need, 3 of them so 3x50$
I'm thinking if i put this Bronze rod bearings and increase lubrication to 1:20 how long it will work.
ii looked and did phone cols to bearing distributors in poland and i couldnt find needle bearings splited in half, they only have whole bearings as is
upper rode bearing.
hm im thinking maybe to look for powerhead, but what i will find in 30 y old powerhead, i think the same as in mine.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: REPLECE NEEDLE BEARING TO BRONZE RODE BEARING ni Evinrude 4.5hp 1980

is it worth to instal bronze rode bearing?