1998-90 hrs johnson trim gauge repair

bassattack515

Recruit
Can anyone help me diagnose my trim gauge problem? Gauge looks good, wiring connection looks good on motor, and trim works great. I was thinking it might be a wiring problem at first so I started simple and checked for broken wires or loose connections but everything looks good so far. Any ideas on what I can do to find problem before I buy a new gauge? My fuel gauge also only works part of the time so any help there to I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1998-90 hrs johnson trim gauge repair

Check to make sure you don't have any corrosion under any and all connections you can find; tight doesn't mean that corrosion isn't causing your problem. That includes the battery itself. Good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998-90 hrs johnson trim gauge repair

An intermittent fuel gauge and non-functional trim gauge would point to a common problem. The common problem is +12 volts to both gauges with the key in the RUN position and ground to both gauges. If both of those is not present neither gauge will function. If both gauges have +12 volt and ground, then the only issues are lack of the sender signal or a bad sender. Ground the "S" (sender) terminal on the gauge. The gauge should peg full (fuel) or UP (trim). If not, check the sender wires for continuity front to back. If that's ok, do a resistance check of the senders.