Alarm 1989 Johnson 175 GT

Robgk1

Recruit
I have 1989 Johnson 175 GT without the motor running when I turn the key on the alarm will beep every 15 Sec. Then while the motor is running the same thing happens 1 beep evry 15 sec. Also went on a test run last Sat and ran over 3 miles alarm did not sound then went to the lake on Sunday went 500 yards the alarm sounded a steady beep. Went Monday no alarm allday. Took both T stats out and tested them both opened at around 150. Put muffs on the motor with out T stats in noticed right side was pushing more water out then Left side. Can anyone help please I'm lost.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Alarm 1989 Johnson 175 GT

do you still have the VRO hooked up? the intermitted beep is your oil alarm. a steady beep is over heat...could be as simple as a short in the alarm wire. test your alarm by grounding the tan wire coming from your temp sensors with your key in the on position. was the motor running hot?? you certainly need to fix whatever is wrong before using the motor again.

Robgk1

Recruit

Yes the VRO is still hooked up. The motor wasn't running hot. Could the alarm system have a short in it causing it to go off on both cases or is it just for the oil sensor. when i run it in the yard with muffs on for 10 to 15 mins i can still put my hand on the heads of the motor they are cool to the touch.

SparkieBoat

Captain

could be short or could be VRO failing...this could be a real problem, you need to figure it out..those old VROs had a high failure rate., you can plug the VRO oil side and disconnect the VRO wire harness and premix. If you are going to continue to use the VRO for oil injection you MUST figure out whats going on or risk blowing up your motor. sounds like it is not over heating.

e10

Seaman Apprentice

A steady beep is overheat, 1/2 second on 1/2 second off is no oil and beep every 30 seconds or so is low oil in the oil tank.

Robgk1

Recruit

I will try to disconnect the VRO and see what happens. about how much oil should i mix per gallon of gas. i think the premix will be better and safer.

guitman32

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an '89 Evinrude 175 that I had similar problems with when I got her. What I haven't seen mentioned is a potential fuel restriction. There is a vaccum sensor that will sound the intermittent alarm if excess vacuum is detected in the fuel lines. After chasing the thermostats for a while (the fuel restriction buzzer would lead to an overheat buzzer) and it getting better (ran her with gutted t-stats for a bit), I decided to re-rig the boat.

The problem ended up being a clogged anti-siphon valve which was causing fuel restriction and overheating. Keep in mind I am running pre-mix (VRO delete). Hope this helps.

Robgk1

Recruit

Thanks for all your help. I will try to check all the vacuum lines to make sure non are removed.