• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Alarm 1989 Johnson 175 GT

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm 1989 Johnson 175 GT

I have 1989 Johnson 175 GT without the motor running when I turn the key on the alarm will beep every 15 Sec. Then while the motor is running the same thing happens 1 beep evry 15 sec. Also went on a test run last Sat and ran over 3 miles alarm did not sound then went to the lake on Sunday went 500 yards the alarm sounded a steady beep. Went Monday no alarm allday. Took both T stats out and tested them both opened at around 150. Put muffs on the motor with out T stats in noticed right side was pushing more water out then Left side. Can anyone help please I'm lost.

Re: Alarm 1989 Johnson 175 GT

do you still have the VRO hooked up? the intermitted beep is your oil alarm. a steady beep is over heat...could be as simple as a short in the alarm wire. test your alarm by grounding the tan wire coming from your temp sensors with your key in the on position. was the motor running hot?? you certainly need to fix whatever is wrong before using the motor again.
    Free ignition troubleshooting guide http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs...owFlipBtn=true
    You will need a DVA adapter http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/ESI-640.html First test compression, Second test spark with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap, Third check timing, next CLEAN your carbs properly,

Comment

Yes the VRO is still hooked up. The motor wasn't running hot. Could the alarm system have a short in it causing it to go off on both cases or is it just for the oil sensor. when i run it in the yard with muffs on for 10 to 15 mins i can still put my hand on the heads of the motor they are cool to the touch.

Comment

could be short or could be VRO failing...this could be a real problem, you need to figure it out..those old VROs had a high failure rate., you can plug the VRO oil side and disconnect the VRO wire harness and premix. If you are going to continue to use the VRO for oil injection you MUST figure out whats going on or risk blowing up your motor. sounds like it is not over heating.
        Free ignition troubleshooting guide http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs...owFlipBtn=true
        You will need a DVA adapter http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/ESI-640.html First test compression, Second test spark with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap, Third check timing, next CLEAN your carbs properly,

Comment

A steady beep is overheat, 1/2 second on 1/2 second off is no oil and beep every 30 seconds or so is low oil in the oil tank.

Comment

I will try to disconnect the VRO and see what happens. about how much oil should i mix per gallon of gas. i think the premix will be better and safer.

Comment

I have an '89 Evinrude 175 that I had similar problems with when I got her. What I haven't seen mentioned is a potential fuel restriction. There is a vaccum sensor that will sound the intermittent alarm if excess vacuum is detected in the fuel lines. After chasing the thermostats for a while (the fuel restriction buzzer would lead to an overheat buzzer) and it getting better (ran her with gutted t-stats for a bit), I decided to re-rig the boat.

The problem ended up being a clogged anti-siphon valve which was causing fuel restriction and overheating. Keep in mind I am running pre-mix (VRO delete). Hope this helps.

Comment

50:1 is the pre mix ratio

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I will try to check all the vacuum lines to make sure non are removed.

Comment

Working...
                  X