1995 evinrude 200 vindicator running problems...NEED HELP ASAP!!!

coltb1881

Cadet
:confused:ok...to start off i have a 1995 evinrude 200 vindicator on a Javelin 400TE hull with 27p 4 blade raker prop with no jackplate. The problems start here...its very hard to start, i have to put my hot foot in the floor to start it and kinda pedal the throttle to get it to start running...then when it fires it WILL NOT idle in the water and SMOKES LIKE HELL (have to hold my hot foot about quarter/half throttle to keep it running). Then if i idle out of a no wake zone i can floor it with motor trimmed all the way down and it is very sluggish out of the hole...but when i get on the pad and trimmed out running it seems to run kinda smooth but only runs about 50mph but kinda cuts in and out and jumps to 55-58mph then back down again...and when i stop for a while to fish and go to fire motor back up it repeats the same thing all day...ive pulled carbs off and cleaned them and put new plugs in it (champion plugs) but didnt help a bit...

any help will be better than what ive got...no boat mechanic will tell you anything over the phone...they're all worried about makin a buck!!!

thanks...Colt!

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 evinrude 200 vindicator running problems...NEED HELP ASAP!!!

when you cleaned the carbs did you take out jets and blow them out

coltb1881

Cadet

to be 100% honest i only seen what appeared to be on big jet (fast jet) i seen nothing that looked like an idle jet...i work on motorcycles for a living and do carb jobs everyday...but these plastic carbs look nothing like a bike carb to me...please help me if you can

jonesg

Admiral

Order carb rebuild kits , get your model number to order, iBoats sells them.
Next order the factory service book.
www.outboardbooks.com

Carbs have to be removed and taken apart, its very simple though.
Run wire through the jets. Then spray carb cleaner and watch the spray pattern for clogs.
Don't soak plastic bowls in cleaner, they melt.

Meantime, remove engine hood , turn your ignition key to on and push the key in, do you hear the choke solenoid click?
They like to be rich and wet to fire.

Besides the hard starting, there could very well be a spark problem.
Anyway, start at the beginning and do a compression test, write the numbers down and post back.
Then do a spark test with adjustable spark tester set to 7/16th inch gap, all plugs out/grounded etc.
I'm sure you know the routine, yellow spark bad , blue snap is good.

I wouldn't attempt to put this in the water until its fixed or you can easily melt a piston, no fuel= no oil.

It sounds like this outboard is new to you?
Any background, model number and service history you can post will help a lot.

coltb1881

Cadet

the boat is new to me...as is the motor...i have no service records with it...where do i find model number?? and it has good compression between 90-100 on all cylinders and it has a good blue spark with a .030 gap...i think im getting to much fuel like the floats are sticking or just out of whack....b/c i can leave motor trimmed up while fishing and when i hit the key it fires right up but wont idle...but it doesnt smoke near as bad and sounds GOOD!!! i owned a 93 model evinrude 120 V4 and i mixed my gas in it as well and never had a problem with it...thats why im leaning torwards fuel issues

coltb1881

Cadet

forgot to mention...i can hear the choke sylenoid click and seems to be working fine...but what do you mean by they like to be rich and wet to fire?

jonesg

Admiral

Model number is on a plate on the leg, if you find no ID plate look on the engine head for a silver dollar size welch plug.
Otherwise we can track it down by cross referencing part numbers on the power pack etc.

When you performed the spark test, did you use the sparkplug set at .030 gap?
Thats no good, gap has to be 7/16th, thats almost half an inch.

If you can pump the fuel bulb firm then the floats aren't sticking.
Outboards have to be rich to fire up, you can test it by spraying fuel into the cyl's when its cold and see if it starts quicker.

coltb1881

Cadet

im gonna tear the carbs apart this evening and clean again. what is the specs that the floats need to be set at and how do you go about measuring the float height?

coltb1881

Cadet

i tore carbs apart this evening and they were clean as a whistle. every float was the same height so i left them alone. cleaned jets and put it all back together. Where are the oil/fuel mixture screws at? i found what i thought was them and if so then they were 10-12 turns out. Please tell me where they are and what they look like. And how far out they should be turned..please and thank you

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

should be about 61/2 turns out

coltb1881

Cadet

if they are supposed to be turned 6 1/2 out then where are they and what do they look like?

coltb1881

Cadet

ok...i just put the boat in the water and it will not fire up and idle without holding my foot on the gas a little bit. it will run great when i hold my foot on it a little. I need to know how to adjust the idle up a little bit. I dont know where the idle adjusment is. It will run GREAT on the "muffs" but not in the water when it has back pressure on it. I dont know what else to do now. All my carbs are clean as a whistle and the jets as well. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonesg

Admiral

When cold that is normal, will it stay running once its warmed up?
Most outboard control handles have a warmup lever.

Hard starting is often caused by operator error but your ignition might need to be advanced a bit to raise the idle speed.
Did you get the service book yet?
www.outboardbooks.com

coltb1881

Cadet

havent got book yet. and NO it will not stay idleing when its warm. and how do i advance the ignition to raise3 the idle speed?

jonesg

Admiral

Can't really give specifics on that, my engine is a 94 150hp.

But try this, take it out of gear , with engine off, operate the throttle and watch the ignition linkage advancing and retarding.
There will be some way to adjust the advance to raise the idle.
I don't know if this applies to your design engine but it will give you an idea what to look for.
http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=357667

Check for roller sleeves where ignition pickup roller runs against the cam. Its a plastic sleeve to prevent excess wear to the roller, they tend to break and fall off ( you'll find them broken in the lower part of the hood.) When they break they throw idle timing off.