1969 evinrude fasttwin 18 hp not pumping water or cooling

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice
I am brand new to this site. been looking at threads for about a week and cant believe all the info i have got from iboats. you guys are a great help. i used the top secret file to fire this old evinrude up (in a barrel) and hear her run but its not cooling. there isn't any water comin out the hole in my lower unit. so my next move is to take the lower unit off and see what the problem is. Impellers?, water pump? i was just wondering if im am going to be able to tell what i need just by looking. and wondering if im going to need a gasket set or anything when i take the lower unit off. any info will be greatly appreciated as this is only my 2nd boat and the first i have had to work on. i am pretty mechanicly inclined but just havnt had much expieience with boats. btw the boat is a 16ft flat bottom john.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1969 evinrude fasttwin 18 hp not pumping water or cooling

Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help you. You may want to pick up a service manual if you plan on doing youre own maintenance. But, yes, you need to drop the lower unit and check the impeller. No gasket set needed. Remove the oval cover on the leg and remove the lower bolt in the shift rod connector. Then remove the 6 or so bolts that hold the lower unit on. There is a larger bolt at the rear of the motor which goes in from the top. Don't forget that one. The L/U should drop right down. The water pump housing sits right on top of the lower unit. Held on by 3 or 4 bolts. Be careful when removing them - they snap off easily. May want to spray them with some penetrating oil. Remove the housing, and impeller sets inside. Inspect the housing, and if it's not worn you can probably get by with just the impeller. If the impeller is broken up, you may want to attach a garden hose to the water tube and shoot some water in there to see if any rubber pieces are clogging the passages. Make sure when you put the new one in that you have the drive pin in place - a little key or rod which fits into the driveshaft, which drives the impeller. Then put her all back together. Make sure when re-attaching the lower unit that you get the water tube into the grommet in the pump housing. Then giver her a try.

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the lightning quick reply. gonna go give it a look in a couple of hours. prolly cant ge the impeller on a sunday but ill disassembly and give the houseing a look. do you have any other low budget maintanence ideas i should do to it before i put it in the water. spark plug suggested? i got some plugs from the autozone because it was late at night. prolly not a good idea but i wanted to get it to fire. 50.1 mix ratio? I also dont know anything about the low speed setting on the front of the motor? i appreciate all info i get. Ill definatly be a regular at this site. ill post so pics of my project boat.

lindy46

Captain

Get some Champion J6C plugs and set to .030". 50:1 is correct gas:eek:il mix. Don't worry about the low speed needle until you can get her up and running and pumping water. Then you can think about adjusting the carb.

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice

thanks. just got impeller out and it was toast. houseing looked good. my water line to my motor had at least an 8th inch of black carbon looking build-up tho. it this normal? i cleaned it good and im gonna order the impeller today. it was pretty gunked up in the driveshaft houseing. just curious if its normal. and i found a rubber line that goes from under my carb around block to under the fuel filter. it had a pretty big crack. what is this line? thanks for all your help lindy46.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

From the carb to the filter is a fuel line. You'll have to replace it. I have may 18's and love em. a great power/weight engine. 16' is a tad big for it though.

I have the parts manual for the '67 E18 if you want it, they're very similar and will give you an idea of what's where in the engine. If you want it, PM me your email and request.

tbone1987

Seaman Apprentice

ya i understand that but i got a pretty good deal on the boat and motor for 800$. im not real concerned about power. just lookin to bass fish in some medium lakes with a 25 hp limit. ill be happy just to be able to get around the lake. replaceing the front deck that is full height (20in.) with a new 1 that is 14in. put a bottom deck across the middle already and gonna take back deck off and just build storage boxes for batterys and gas tank. but thats a whole other project. the line i was reffering to is not the gas line but it goes into the block under the carb. then goes into the block under the fuel filter. it goes into the block on both ends. it seems to be some kind of oil line? vacum? like i said, not to expierienced in marine motors. thanks for all the help guys. im gonna get some pics up to share to.