Johnson 40hp, 1996 I want to convert from tiller to remote.

Baytown.boy

Seaman
I have a Johnson 40hp, 1996, model no. J40teeds, with the tiller handle and the shifter handle in the front, not the side. I want to convert from tiller to remote, but can't find the remote kit for the conversion. Local Evinrude dealer says they dont make one for my motor. Make it for a 35 and a 45hp engine. I need something, someway, somehow to convert this over. I already have the console installed waiting. Can anyone help with any ideas, suggestions? Maybe I could just use the shift box to control the gas, and use the manual control for the shifting? Would need some kind of bracket, anyone, HELP, thanx, Doyle

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 40hp, 1996 I want to convert from tiller to remote.

Doyle, You should have kept that sweet, sweet Evinrude 60 I sold you last year. :)

If I'm thinking of the right project, you built a small side console, situated far back in the boat, so you could sit on the back bench and handle a tiller motor.
Or is this a different project?

Baytown.boy

Seaman

Yes, the reason I did the little side console was to give my 84 year uncle room to move around in. But now he can't fish anymore, I'm converting it over to a center console the way I would originally like to have had it. The model motor I have does not have an OMC remote conversion kit, so I'm going to have to have a couple of brackets made for the shift/gas cables to hang on. Talked to a couple of folks today and they said they can do it, just need to load up and take to their shop. I should be catching some good ol red fish next week and have them on the half shell, man I love them that way, so good.
The man I sold my Whaler to, still has it and every once in awhile, he lets me drive it when we go fishing together. That was one sweet 60hp.
Hope you finally got your motors problems all lined out.

rivercity1941

Recruit

Did you ever figure this out?

I have a post trying to figure out the same thing for a 2005 Evinrude 40 HP. Got steering and controls worked out except for the final connections to the engine for each. Figure there has to be factory parts but I just don't know enough about it. Also, choke needs to be dealt w/ but I can handle that.

I would love to see a pic of your console. I am looking for a center or side. Found Todd and Carolina Skiff pre-mades that would both work. With a 20 foot flat bottom, we seem to have 3 or 4 in the boat quite often so going to the side might be better. Don't worry, our trips are several 1 or 2 hour trips a day up and down the White River in north Arkansas unless the water level is perfect and the temp is too, so 4 in the boat is OK for a while.

Thanks.