evinrude 1957 7.5hp fleetwin

mark34

Recruit
Just found a fleetwin on the side of the road waiting to get picked up by the garbage man, but I beat them to it. Just what I need another project. Any advice on bringing this thing back from the dead would be great. It looks like everything is there including the pressurised gas tank and fittings. It also is a very clean motor inside and out. I'm a big dumby when it comes to these things so any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude 1957 7.5hp fleetwin

Hey, that's a good find! :D I love it when these things happen. I saved my 1946 Zephyr from the scrap man and my addiction just went from there.
The first thing I would do, is take out the spark plugs and spray some WD-40 in the cylinders. Get it all loosened up. Once it's loosened up, take a compression test. You want the readings to be as close to the same as possible and with that motor, 75 - 80 psi or better is good. If you find good compression readings, then I would check over the ignition system. I'm willing to bet, that's why it was set by the curb. The coils probably are in need of replacement and no one wanted to put the money into it. Those old Fleetwins are good old motors, when tuned and running properly.
Thirdly, check the oil in the lower unit. See if there has been any water intrusion and the oil looks like milk shake. These are a couple good starting points for you to work with and see if it's worth spending any money on it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Just found a fleetwin on the side of the road waiting to get picked up by the garbage man, but I beat them to it.

Boy I hate when that happens.....and its not to me.....LOL. I usually have to PAY $20 at garage sales. Good advice above. I have 2 like yours. One was found to have a bad coil, which was an easy fix. The other had the water pump stuck, which made it seem like the powerhead was stuck.

mark34

Recruit

This might be a stupid question, but how do you check compression. The coils are cracked and the spark plugs were pretty worn out. Everything else seems to be in good shape. I will drain and replace the lower unit oil.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would beg, borrow or steal a compression guage. :D

Yea, you'll want to replace the coils if they're cracked. If the compression feels good, then the "lack of spark" may be why you found it.:cool:

mark34

Recruit

Ok, found a compression guage and I checked compression I had 50 psi in each cylinder. Is that good or bad? I also drained the lower unit oil and it was filled with water and sludge. I guess I'll have to get a gasket for the lower unit and also replace the o-rings on the fill and drain plugs. Does anyone know a good source for service manuals that won't break the bank. Or is there a web site that has a printable pdf? You guys have been very helpful but I could use some pictures. Man I have tons of questions. I hope I'm not a pain. Can anyone suggest a brand of coils to get or does it matter? I appreciate all of the help.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

50 lbs is low. But it will probably run if the rest is in good tune. You might want to pull the head and check it out inside. It's rare both sides are low. A decarb could bring it up also. I have the parts manual for that engine if you want to PM me with your email and request.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I'm willing to bet the compression will improve, once you get it running and do a decarb. At least they're even. You may just have sticky rings now, from sitting.
As for the lower unit, I would just flush it out and put fresh oil in it with new washers on the plugs. You may or may not get water intrusion after that, but it's worth a try.
Coils are available at your local marine supply dealer or at Napa.

mark34

Recruit

I can see the coils through the fly wheel, but I can't get the fly wheel off. I took the nut off but the fly wheel won't lift off. I noticed a little groove in the washer around the post. Do I have to do anything with that? Any suggestions, I'm sure its something Im over looking?
Thanks