1993 Johnson 48 HP cooling

Johnson44

Cadet
I put the new water pump impeller kit in and no water out the tell-tale. Assuming I did something wrong, I dropped the lower unit again and rechecked everything, double checked the direction of the impeller blades and put it all back together again, including that stupid shift rod screw that makes me move the starter out of the way. Still nothing out the tell-tale. Tried it in a drum. Hooked up the muffs and water flows freely thru the tell-tale with the motor off? Maybe I am getting too anxious, the power head is not hot to the touch after a full minute. If it is the thermostat, where is it? Looks like water is leaking from the joint where the lower meets the upper unit. Where do I go from here?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 Johnson 48 HP cooling

Make sure the tell tale is clear by poking some weed eater string up there. Critters like to make homes in it.
The thermostat has nothing to do with the tell tale stream. The thermostat only lets water circulate through the head when the temp gets up around 145 deg.
Make sure the water is above the water pump area when testing.
Sometimes it is hard to get the water tube seated in the water pump grommet. It is normal that some water will leak out the joint between the gear box and mid section. Just a few thoughts..hope this will get it going...