1967 Evinrude 80 HP (Gearcase troubles).

kjones734

Cadet
I currently own an 1967 evinrude (model #80753) it is an speedifour motor (Manual shift) that runs good but I am having problems with the gears (I think).

Here is the issue, when I have the motor in forward gear at idle it will go fine but when I give it some power it will make a clunk noise and lose power for a split second, this clunk is very rhythmic and comes around about every 4-5 seconds. and now if I give it any power when it is is gear it will jump out of gear completely and rev out of control until I shut the engine off. Then after the last time I took the boat out and this happened it leaked a large pool of thick grease on the ground beneath the engine it was yellowish-green in color. do you know what this is from?

Now I have been researching on the web for a little bit and come up with "you are jumping out of gear. The lugs on the fwd gear are worn. A new clutch dog will not correct this. You need a gearset and now another new clutch dog. Been there, done that. It's the only way to correct the issue."

I would like someone to confirm this before I start doing any work to the engine. I also looked up the forward gear (part # 377870) and it is pricey (+$100). I have heard that it is possible to swap the forward and reverse gears, is this possible? When it says lugs is he talking about the washers behind the gears? I do not see the word lug in the parts diagram.

Finally what is all involved in doing this work my self? Can I just take the lower end apart and replace the parts (I have the manual) rather easily? Will I need to replace any other parts such as seals or gaskets?

Thank you so much for any and all help you can provide, I really want to get my boat working again so I can do some fishing this year.

yorab

Ensign
Re: 1967 Evinrude 80 HP (Gearcase troubles).

kjones, there are numerous threads on this forum that describe the clunking/jumping out of gear problem. Joe Reeves has explained this very well on a few occasions. Search the forums a bit. And yes, you will need to replace seals and gaskets when you get in there. There are lower unit seal kits available right here on iboats.

kjones734

Cadet

Thank you for the reply, Is it possible for you to post a few of those links? I tried searching and was unable to find them.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The clunking every few seconds sounds as though a bushing is bad,The jumping out of gear is normally the gear and clutchdog they have ears that protrude and when shifted lock together.You need to open it up get a manual and see what is bad
the dog and gear or bushings

yorab

Ensign

Here's another link:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=459451&highlight=reeves

If it turns out that you need gearbox parts, you probably won't find them on iboats. I have a gearbox from a 1961 Speedifour that I could part out for a price that would make you smile. This assumes that the part numbers are the same. But first, be sure of what it is that needs to be adjusted/replaced. There is no buying/selling allowed on the forums so if you want to discuss this further, PM me.

kjones734

Cadet

Thank you very much for the helpful replies, I will call my brother over and we will take it apart and have a look. Is there anything I should watch for as I take it apart? Also does any one have any ideas about the thick grease that leaked out?

kjones734

Cadet

well I took it apart today and I confirmed the problem is the dog is hella worn down and the gear has taked some damage where the dog meets. Can I swap the foward and reverse gears with out problems?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can, but are you sure the reverse is good? It takes surprisingly little wear to make it jump. Worse, a worn gear will destroy a new dog in short order. Then you will be right back to where you are now, but with less money in your pocket.

Not to even mention, you won't have a reliable reverse.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If he can swap out the gears R to F and F to R why cant he turn the dog around??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well of course he can. But how can we assume the reverse isn't worn? Has he never used reverse?

kjones734

Cadet

The forward gear and the forward dog was beat up pretty bad, but the reverse was in good shape. But i will not be swapping them around I found a new in box forward gear for $75 shipped on ebay. I also picked up a new dog ($25) new lower seal kit ($20) and a new impeller kit ($24). So for a boat it was a cheap fix. Thank you all for your help.

kjones734

Cadet

Just a quick question, What kind of oil do I use for the gearcase? Do I just use standard 80 weight gear oil? thanks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

LOWER UNIT OIL, just looking at it you cna't tell the difference from 80/90 but it has addatives to deal with water intrusion.

You can get it at any Wal Mart and most auto parts stores.

I normally get 2 and fill one completely up, it is easier to get the lower full.