1972 Johnson paint question, which green paint do I need?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
I found this OMC paint chart here and I am quite confused as to what paint in need to buy.

My outboard is a 72, and is painted green. Which color green do I have? Is it the forest green, or the green (from the attached paint chart)? The years listed don't match what I have, and I want to make sure I get it right. (I don't think those are OMC part numbers either)

Thanks in advance. :)
OMC_paint_chart_circa_1974.jpg

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Johnson paint question, which green paint do I need?

Go to www.nymarine.com and ask there. That guy's very good with outboard motor paints.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC does not list a green for 1972. It may not be available anymore. They used to stock the following a couple of years ago: Green 1969-1971 part #771257, green 1976 part #771254.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

That's strange. What the heck did they use between 72-75? It's definetly green of some sort. I would like to paint this in its original colors. If I can't find the right paint I might just paint it to look like an Evinrude (blue), or a post '77 Johnson (white).

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I recently re-built a '74 Johnson 25 hp and I got the paint from www.nymarine.com. It was a dark green. Kinda pricey but, great paint and perfect matching color

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The "green" you are looking for is actually called johnson #389 gold. I got it as a custom mix from NAPA.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I'll keep the nymarine source in mind. I prefer to get the OMC/BRP paint if at all possible. Probably cheaper that way too.

If anything, I'll get the OMC/BRP paint for a more newer Johnson, and paint it white, since that seems more readily available.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 75 25HP and I couldn't find the paint,Tried nymar and the cost stopped me.I called around and a dealer had 1 can on their shelf. It was only 20 miles away,I am picking it up today,I started looking off and on last Jan.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome. If you wouldn't mind, please post the part number from the can. :)

william66

Cadet

hey maybe this will help some ? I have a 1970 johnson and found paint and decals at http://johnson-boat-parts.com dont know if yours is the same but mine is a dark/hunter green with a white hood

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I tried to get a color match for my 72 johnson 125 hp a while back and I was recommended to repaint the whole motor than to try and match it because of fading and high cost to match it up. Same color green as yours.

dew2

Awesome. If you wouldn't mind, please post the part number from the can. :)

I should have questioned the counter girl more I got green zinc chromate primer.BUT while looking more for 1975 green I believe I found your green/gold paint.Go to the site below ,I think its what you need.Now to find mine???

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/johnson/B-0771257.html

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

dew2, we might be out of luck. I found this document from BRP that list all of their touch up paints. Doesn't list any sort of green for our years of engines.

It does also refer to OMC Service Bulletin 2275 (I can't find it online).

Here's a link to the PDF:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNEzGk7ludS11_Za0U8jNNSpAkZzkg&cad=rja

From that document:

771261 1968-69 Forest Green
771257 1969-71 Green
771252 1971-75 Gold (this is indeed gold, nothing close to green)
771254 1976 Green

777178 1977-80 White (Johnson? 1972-80; OMC 1977-thru) I don't get this one, Johnson's were not painted white until 77

dew2

I have a 1974 in the garage and a 1975,My neighbor has a 76 they all look the same color,although I never had them side by side to look close,I have a email off to one of the paint suppliers,asking for a pic of 0771251 for a match.Dont know if thats possible,I did ask if what is called gold is green looking with gold tint.I look at my 75 and 74 they look off green and it may be green/goldish.I may order the 0771251 just to see.but I will wait till my email is answered.

Back a few posts rockyrudes post leads me to believe the label gold is a green, just like lots of paints the name is not as it seems?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I found some posts here in the forum asking about that gold paint. Seems it was used on the Evinrudes of the same era, and was indeed gold. (found this on the old OMC site: www.old-omc.de )

76evinrude115.jpg

I'm about to give up the idea of painting this thing to look it's original color, and paint it Johnson white (77 and newer models).

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The advice given about contacting Peter at nymarine is the way to go if you want quality paint. He is the guy that all of the antique motor club members use when restoring their outboards. He also carries the decals that you will need.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Not to hijack, but I can't get the nymarine.com website to come up. It redirects me as if the page doesn't exist.

dew2

I just ordered the 0771251 from Marine parts,a seller on ebay. He comfirmed what is called gold is green.He also couldn't understand why they called it gold.Thats the nature of some paints the name does not match the color.The paint along with a can of zinc chromate and shipping got me for 24 bucks.Thats 7 dollars less than Nymarine would have cost me for a 4 oz spray can of theirs.This is factory paint and the zinc is a brand name primer.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not to hijack, but I can't get the nymarine.com website to come up. It redirects me as if the page doesn't exist.

Its a Canadian site, nymarine.ca

Peter is the fellow name. I own stock in his company lately with all the restorations Ive been doing, lol