1992 Evinrude 9.9 <E10rena> powerpack under the flywheel conversion to block mount

AlTn

Commander
1992 Evinrude 9.9 <E10rena> powerpack under the flywheel conversion to block mount

In dealing with a 1992 ,9.9 evinrude no spark condition, I've ruled out the stop switch and in looking at powerpack, charge coil, and trigger I noticed that CDI only offers a conversion kit to convert the year models 1989 - 1992 back to the old system of the powerpack being mounted on the side of the block with the trigger and charge coil mounted under the flywheel. It seems during those 3 years, OMC had the trigger sensor integral to the powerpack and the pack and charge coil were both mounted under the flywheel. Any thoughts on whether to go with existing setup or to CDI conversion? My concern is that there was a higher failure rate with the packs mounted under the flywheel.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 Evinrude 9.9 <E10rena> powerpack under the flywheel conversion to block moun

Re: 1992 Evinrude 9.9 <E10rena> powerpack under the flywheel conversion to block moun

I have a 1992 9.9 Johnson with the UFI ignition, & have used it for years with no electrical problem, should I also be worried?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The only probs I can remember with UFI ( u find it ) ignition systems was to much heat build up under the flywheel causing early failures of ignition components.

AlTn

Commander

FWIW..spoke to CDI tech this a.m....his take was that OMC tried this set up,,,got negative feed back from techs in the field as it was more difficult and time consuming to test than the old set up...so they reverted to the original setup. It seems to me that if you select to stay with the trigger/powerpack combo, you'd be best off to replace the charge coil at the same time as this would result in one trip under the flywheel.I also noticed on the shop.evinrude.com site that the combo trigger/powerback is listed as "limited availability"..I suppose this is a sign of some type...

PropMaster

Cadet

I have a 1990 J
ohnson 9.9, with the UFI ignition. I have no spark on my upper cylinder. I swaped the coils and the no spark condition continued on the top cylinder. Could my UFI power pack loose only one of the two sparks?

Haffiman

Commander

Whenever I 'scrapped' out old 2-cyl engines, the ignition armature plate was the most 'valuable'.
I lost count of how many of those UFI powerpacks I threw away and replaced with the 'old' and later 'new' set-up. 9.9-15 and 20-30 with UFI, all the same garbage! The tolerance to make it work max, even when using the original tool (installation ring), a little wiggle and wear and the flywheel knocked the core out of the power pack. Just the price of a new UFI made it almost worth changing 'back'.
Drop by a junk yard and see if you may get an old armature plate! Second hand charge and sensor coils comes by the dozen and new packs are rather cheap!

PropMaster

Cadet

Great idea thanks