omc 6 gal fuel tank problem

brassgear

Recruit
I have a omc 6 gal fuel tank problem. When I fill it up, gas leaks from the tank connector, not the gaskit but the rod that connects to the hose. Is there any way to fix this? or replace?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc 6 gal fuel tank problem

If I understand whats leaking? its the fuel hose connection? Remove it 4 screws,blow it out with compressed air lots at 100lbs.Something must be cloging the valve.Blow it opposite of the fuel flow.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a omc 6 gal fuel tank problem. When I fill it up, gas leaks from the tank connector, not the gaskit but the rod that connects to the hose. Is there any way to fix this? or replace?

Depends on how old the tank is. But on any of them, it could be the o-ring in the fuel hose connector. Replace the o-ring or the entire connector.

The older tanks have two small pins that get pushed in when you push the fuel connector on. Look at those two small pins and you will see a brass washer surrounding one of them. Behind that washer is a tiny o-ring. If the o-ring is worn, it will slop gas out and suck air. It is repaired by removing the core plugs on the opposite side of the housing, removing the pins, then pry the brass washer out. Replace the o-ring, stake the washer back in, and re-assemble with new core plugs. There are two sizes of those tiny o-rings, according to year built. You will need to know which ones to order. Or order both to be safe.

Bob Fikk

Recruit

Depends on how old the tank is. But on any of them, it could be the o-ring in the fuel hose connector. Replace the o-ring or the entire connector.

The older tanks have two small pins that get pushed in when you push the fuel connector on. Look at those two small pins and you will see a brass washer surrounding one of them. Behind that washer is a tiny o-ring. If the o-ring is worn, it will slop gas out and suck air. It is repaired by removing the core plugs on the opposite side of the housing, removing the pins, then pry the brass washer out. Replace the o-ring, stake the washer back in, and re-assemble with new core plugs. There are two sizes of those tiny o-rings, according to year built. You will need to know which ones to order. Or order both to be safe.

Can you tell me the part numbers of these tiny o-rings and how can I order them?

Bob Fikk

Recruit

Pre 1977 - 0305857

1977 to 1987 - 0322598

Boats.net/crowleys or any of the other marine suppliers should have stock.....

http://www.boats.net/

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. However, the 322598 is actually the Valve Seat O-ring. I need the tiny o-ring behind the brass washer. The 0305857 seems to be obsolete. Is there a way I can still get one of these? Thanks.

mark1961

Ensign

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. However, the 322598 is actually the Valve Seat O-ring. I need the tiny o-ring behind the brass washer. The 0305857 seems to be obsolete. Is there a way I can still get one of these? Thanks.

Does it appear as an item on the fuel tank parts breakdown? Do you know the approximate year of the tank?

http://www.boats.net/

Tempofisherman

Recruit

I also have an old metal OMC tank from 1986 that leaks from the connector on the tank and have always wondered how I could fix it, I've always loosened the cap slightly when not in use to keep it from siphoning off fuel but I would like a better solution. Can someone who has done this repair please advise me on the best and easiest way to remove those core plugs, I don't want to damage the cast housing? I'm assuming new core plugs could just be tapped into place with a punch? Also is it only necessary to replace the o-ring on the pin with the brass washer and not the other one? Thanks for the help!

Bob Fikk

Recruit

I have a 1980 14' Lund Deluxe and a 1972 25HP Johnson motor which I bought used from a dealer in 1994. The motor came with the boat; my guess is that the tank and the motor are about the same age. There is no date or anything I can find that tells me when the tank was made. There is a "J" stamped on the top/center of the tank under the handle; I don't know if designates anything. I found a parts breakdown and Item 20 is described as an O-ring, P/N 0307858. The exploded view of the tank/parts was not clear enough for me to say absolutely that this is what I need. But, as described in your original post, I need the "tiny o-ring" that is behind the brass washer. I already have the valve seat o-ring (#322598) and the core plug (#303405). Thanks again for your help.

mark1961

Ensign

Appears to be available although the boats.net site is not always reliable in this regard, do you have brp dealer nearby? For two bucks or so i reckon its worth a shot.....

rlray42

Cadet

Guess I did something wrong as my question didn't show up so I'll try again.

My tank only leaks when I connect the hose (new hose) - When I push the little pins I get either gas or suction depending on temperature of the contents so I assume the o rings / seals / valves are good??? Is it the tube thats worn? Replaceable? How? Part # ?

Thanks!!

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sadly, I don't know the answer to your question, but you will have better luck starting a fresh thread rather than starting again on a thread over 1 year old.

nwcove

Admiral

by any chance is the new hose "after market"? or does it have after market connectors??

tony1117

Cadet
Will the normal fitting on the end of a fuel line assembly work with this housing? The pins on top seem to be in good condition but when I plug the fitting in the pins don't compress all the way causing the fitting to not get a proper seal ...any help??!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why are you posting a picture and replying in an old thread when you already started a thread about your tank fittings? :confused:

Look at the Help Tips on top of the page.