1988 28 hp Evinrude mod. VE28ESLCCR cranking

MFluharty

Cadet
I am trying to get a 88 evinrude to crank. I cannot get the starter to spin the motor very fast. Starter spins well by itself with no load on it. Also what should the compression be on the cylinders be? Thanks

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: 1988 28 hp Evinrude mod. VE28ESLCCR cranking

If you checked all the connections...
Sounds like ya need to rebuild the starter or buy a new one.. Brushes, bearings, commutator or maybe something else, but something is messed up making it drag.. If ya been cranking on it real hard lately.. you mighta burned it up.. get a new one

MFluharty

Cadet

I had the starter checked by a shop that rebuilts starter. They said there wes nothing wrong with it. I have been able to get motor started but it is slow to spin. Did the 28 spl.. have a water pump with a pee hose or did it just blow water out of the top exhaust holes?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe there should be a telltale (peehose) on your 1988,my 15hp 88 has one,Have you ran the motor in the last few years? Have you tried to turn the flywheel by hand? Have you cleaned all the elec. connections on the batt.,solenoid and starter?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, MFluharty.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Prime suspect for your symptoms is high resistance in the big wiring from the battery to the starter and to the engine block. Looking good and being tight are not enough.

Take both ends of both battery cables off, carefully clean the connections and reinstall. The most common fault is where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine block.

Let us know how it comes out.

stevo10081984

Seaman Apprentice

your motor def has a tell tale, allthough ive been told if water is coming out of the exhaust, then its pumping, and your fine...stick a piece of wire into the tell tale, they sometimes get cloged....as for compression i have two of those motors both are between 110 and 115....check out this video as a reference to your cranking speed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WCZV4wnmE

MFluharty

Cadet

I found that one of the connnection was not tight. Corrected this and motor start ok, pee hose was also stopped up. Everything seems to working fine now. I plan to rebuild carb. and fuel pump, also new impellar, because this motor had been sitting since 07. So, I will be back for more help. Thanks to everyone for your help. Mike