1997 60Hp Johnson misfire at idle and low RPMS

Maxx99

Cadet
Ok here is what i have. J60TLEUA 60Hp Johnson, its on a 20 foot pontoon boat.
Its hard starting, smokes like hell, dies a few times, then i get the oil cleared out of it and its ok. It will idle, but it shakes the boat, and the motor jumps up and down, only when in gear. If its not in gear you cannot notice any misfire. Above I would say 1/3 throottle the problem seems to go away and it runs good. Primer bulb stays firm all the time. I did check timing and its 5 degrees after TDC at idle in gear. I took apart the carbs and cleaned them, there were spotless anyways. I did notice the red lever on the primer solenoid is cracked, so i will replace that.
Here is something else i noticed while timing the unit. It seemed as if #1 missed a beat when the engine shuttered. Now i dont see it when the unit is on the muffs, but there is no load at that point either. So am not sure if a coil can drop out at low RPM like that?
Compression is good 115 in all 3 cylindars, when warm.

I forgot to mention, after i clear out the oil and it runs, then it starts all weekend ok. the next weekend is when it is hard to start again. thought it was probably the VRO leaking oil slowly so i now have that dissconnected, but havent tried to start it since then cause now its to damn COLD.
any ideas?

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1997 60Hp Johnson misfire at idle and low RPMS

From exsperience most problem disappear on muffs with no load .Check fuel lines for leaks first . Then try to use fresh fuel from a container. Try running it at night to see if their are any sparks jumping around. Also try to use your finger to choke each carb to determine if it is a clogged jet. Everyone allway say's to rebuilt carbs and link and sinc and their usaully rite even if the looks clean.How old are your fuel line could they be collapsing due to ethenol. Get some inline (cheap) spark testers and run it at night so you can see an difference in the brightness of spark?Not a mechanic but have delt with these types of problem before and it's a process of elimination I allway start with the cheap easy stuff first.

Maxx99

Cadet

well, i would think if the fuel lines were collapsed it wouldnt get up to full speed, and it does. but i did just change them last year. i did buy an inline spark tester and will try that for sure. the two finger thing, what happends when i put 2 fingers over the carb? how much do i cover the hole up?

Maxx99

Cadet

i am eliminating the VRO cause i think its putting oil into the engine during the week when it sits. its smokes ALOT when i finally get it started, then it clears up after a bit.

what fuel pump do i use to replace it with?

Maxx99

Cadet

oh i forgot, i did put NGK plugs in it, although problem was there berfore that. can i run NGK plugs?