Painting/restoring 1987 Evinrude Hood and side shields

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Juat a couple questions reguarding my 1987 225hp Evinrude hood and side shields. I want to repaint them. They are in pretty rough shape. The are spider cracked in some places and have chips in them in other palces.

1)What are they made out of? Plastic, fiber glass, or unknown compostite material (backlite, etc)?

If plastic I know what to do. I'm a plastic engineer. If fiberglass what type of resin used to make them? I would like to use the correct resin to fix.

2)What type of primer to use on them? Is zinc chromate ok. I have a ton of it left over from the lower unit pieces. Or is two part epoxy primer better?

I'm planning on using the factory Evinrude paint if that helps the primer question. I have painted cars and trucks before, so I know the prep steps for paint in general. Its just the materials that I have a problem with. Not fimiliar with what this is made out of.

Thanks

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Painting/restoring 1987 Evinrude Hood and side shields

Jeff its all Fiberglass, For the spider cracks you will have to grind it down with and angle grinder, fill with any polyester base jelly and sand, you are a master at this... prime and paint. On the inside of the top cowling I strip all the old foam or insulation it wrecks havoc on clogging your Carbs, I post a few photos of mine during my restoration,
The paint used here is a single part polyurethane found at West Marine it has excellent leveling proprieties and a beautiful sheen as shown here, do not use a Zinc primer it will not adhere or etch on properly.

cowl1.jpg

cowl2.jpg

cowl8.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc357/amackhrandilal/Cowling%20Project
/cowl7.jpg

decal1.jpg

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok I have the fiberglass part down then. Even have left over materials for that. What type of primer did you use? Will automotive high build work? I would like to use spray can stuff if I can. I hate having to cover everything in my garage for the overspray. Also clean up sucks. With the spray cans I can walk out side and spray then bring it back in. No guns to clean.

Also did you replace when insulation inside the hood? If so what did you use? Also what type of adhievise. 3M 77 or 90?

Great pic's of a great job! What year of motor is that? Close to mine I think.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

You re correct its a 1987 140 V4 Looper
No I did not replace the insulation, I seen post where folks use AC type material from Lowes or HD not sure what kind of adhesive was used.
I would recommend resin?
As for the primer it wasINTERLUX Brightside Pre-Kote Primer and the paint was INTERLUXBrightside One-Part Polyurethane Paint with Teflon
both found at West...

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thank You, thank you, thank you for posting that picture. I have an '85 Evinrude 140 and have been debating how to restore it when the original decals are no longer availiable. Yours looks great!! May I ask where you got those decals? Also did you replace the gasket around the bottom of the hood?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not replace the rubber gasket since it was in excellent condition. As for the Decals I found it on ebay ...