1998 Evinrude 115hp 2-stroke oil leaks at carbs when stored, fills lower cowling..

Parorbirdie

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 24 foot pontoon with a 115 hp Evinrude. The boat is very hard to start on the initial start up of the day. After that it runs O.K. The initial start up is definately too rich, because it smokes horribly. In investigating this, I see that there is oil down in the carb openings, and oil draining down the sides of the carbs. This oil is draining enough to accumulate down into the lower cowling, which fills enough to drain on to the lower unit. Not a huge amount, but significant. It appears to me that the pressure in which the oil pump works under, is leaking somewhere, when the boat is being stored. Is there some kind of valve that is stuck, or some seal that this oil may be by-passing. It seems to me that it would have to be pretty close to the carbs, to leak down the carb throat and cause this "very rich" problem. If I rebuild all the oil pump components, would this solve the problems, or is there something after the pumping components?
Appreciate any help that can lead me to better start ups and a less messy storage.

Thanks--- Parorbirdie

Re: 1998 Evinrude 115hp 2-stroke oil leaks at carbs when stored, fills lower cowling.

Hello, is the oil coming from some kind of autolube pump? It could be draining from some kind of resiovoir.