1985 Evinrude 50hp BELCO tach selection and installation

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a E50BELCO motor that currently doesn't have a tach and I would like to add one. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I have asked a fellow member who has the same motor and this is the response "on my throttle at the back bottom is a small plug with 3 holes, there is purple, grey and I think black, you use those for the tach." He continued to state that it had been a while and he was unsure of the whole process but to post it in the Evinrude section for proper wiring and compatible tachs. Well here I am... If anyone has any knowledge of this and could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Evinrude 50hp BELCO tach selection and installation

Simply go to a Evinrude or Johnson dealership and purchase a marine tachometer for your engine. The tachometer will operate off of your engine's "6 Pulse" alternator charging system. The tachometer will have a dial on the back of it which you will set to number six (6 pulses). The instructions that come with it will simplify the installation.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You can get a plug in harness from A BRP dealer.

Connections:

OMC Ignition sw overallSwitch.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Joe, are you sure it's 6 pulse setting? I thought the older 2 cyl's were set on 5 pulse.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

All the ones I've installed used the 6 pulse setting. There were a few exceptions pertaining to smaller horsepower engines but I don't recall exactly what hp.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just checked my Faria and Telflex tach specs sheets and they both say " all 2 cyls less than 70hp" 10 pole which is 5 pulse on the tach.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

When I have time, I'll dig out the specifications and names of the tachometers I speak of.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

E40 ELCCS The OMC instructions I have ,say 5.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay, having retired back in 1991, a few things are bound to slip ones mind. What had slipped mine is that OMC came out with a bulletin (#2027) back in September, 1981, which stated.......

(Quote) Models: 9.9 thru Two Cylinder 60 Electric Start and 4.5 thru 35 Rope Start with Accessory Alternator Battery Charging Kit.

There was a change in the magnets on some engines that can use the 5 pulse tachometer BUT will develop erratic readings over 5000 rpm. The cure is to move the gray tachometer lead from the stator's yellow/gray lead to the stator's yellow lead.

It also states (as other members have reminded me) that using s 6 pulse tachometer on the above models will result in incorrect tachometer readings.(Unquote)

Strange that I had fogotten this but I have the bulletin here in front of me.

I also came across another bulletin (#2009) dated October, 1980 which I had forgotten..... pertaining to erratic tachometer operation due to high resistance in the rectifier bridges (small 3 wire rectifier) which only takes place at a between 175?F and 200?F. A test and cure is included in the bulletin.

I'll be scanning these bulletins and will keep them on file for any members that might desire them.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok I know its been a while since there has been activity on this thread but I am nearing the point of reinstalling the dash. Thank you so much for the information! Now to the things that I have learned and need just a little clarification:

1) Needs to be 5 pulse tachometer
2) Will connect with wiring harness to 1985 Evinrude 50hp BELCO
3) Any brand suggestions?
4) My motor has alternator not magneto set up?

Sorry if these questions are trivial... motors are not my area... Thanks