Question concerning lower end and model number on evinrude 5p.

jasonv123

Recruit
Hello All..
I recently bought a 14ft jon boat then bought the motor. Its a evinrude 5hp fisherman. The serial number is 6502m-e07328 can anyone tell me the year of this motor and model off of this serial number. I cant find a model number anywere.

The motor runs great, however i changed the lower end oil(skeg) and the bottom drain diddnt have a seal on the flat head bolt, the top had a nylon. I went to lowes and bought 2 rubber gaskets, however they diddnt work to well. When i change the oil last night it looked milky, as if water was present. Today i changed the lower oil with the proper oil, filled it from the bottom till it ran out the drain on top. I tested it in barrell with water for 35 mins. I drained the lower oil and it looked like yellowish oil now, almost golden. So im guessing im still taking in water either with those crappy gaskets, or my lower seal is leaking. I need the model number to get that seal if its leaking plus to get the correct seals for the drain plugs.

Any help please??

Thanks

Mike

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Question concerning lower end and model number on evinrude 5p.

Those are great motors and offer great service. Take good care of it and you'll get years of use out of it.

jasonv123

Recruit

Thanks so much for the info!! I guess 6hp sounds right.. on the handle it has the max RPM and says 6hp.. good to know.

thanks again

Mike

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Those lower unit screw seals are specific. You really should get the right ones. You can get them at any OMC dealer for a buck or two each. Buy many for the next time you change the oil also. Until you have the right ones you don't know if you have an LU seal problem or not.

jasonv123

Recruit

Ok will do, does anybody have the number for the screws, or a site that sells them? I dont have my manual yet so i have now way of knowing...lol.

thanks

Mike

jasonv123

Recruit

Thanks, got them ordered. I will try that first!

Mike

jasonv123

Recruit

Also I have read that once the oil changes it may take a few changes for it to clear up?
I have a mechanic who will change the seals for 140 plus parts. I dont mind paying I just want to make sure thats the problem before i take it to him.

Thanks

Mike

F_R

Supreme Mariner

How much do you use the motor? Don't get paranoid over it. Put in fresh oil and see how long it takes to get an appreciable amount of water in it. You can change it a bunch of times for $140 +