Help Johnson 25 hp fuse ? Not starting

getballistic

Cadet
So I was pull starting an electric start Johnson 25 hp with the battery disconnected and key in to simulate a dead battery scenario in the water. Turned over one pull. Problem was when I pulled the rope the spare fuse flew off and lost it somewhere in the yard. So went to checkers to get back up 20 amp fuses These are the glow in the dark ones when they're bad they glow. So I took off the fuse to go checkers. Came back installed new fuse and the original in the spare holder. So two days later figure I'd try pull start her to warm her up and nothing. Plugged in battery and triedbelectric start and nothing either. Checked fuse and it's good. Switched back to original fuse and still nothing. Battery is charged. Bilge pump and lights all work. But nothing at engine. What could I have done wrong?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Help Johnson 25 hp fuse ? Not starting

First of all never run an outboard with the battery disconnected, it will smoke the rectifier, you can pull start it by turning the key on but not far enough to engage the starter.

Is it in neutral and if you have a dead man switch check that to be sure it is working And I am pretty certain there is more than 1 fuse on the engine so check the harness really well for a red rubber holder.

getballistic

Cadet

Hey first of all, regarding this site.... thanks for letting me get on board (pun intended)

Also thanks for the quick response. Ok, I will not do that again. I just got the boat and live on the Pacific, so wanted to see if motor would run without battery, in case battery died on a fishing trip. Anyhoo. So I found the main fuse that is connected to the red rubber holder. That was the one that flew off from the rope pull start. I bought the replacement and replaced it. I don't think there is any dead man switch on this baby. Its turn key, start and go. Yes, it is in neutral, I believe. Its raining now, but i'll grab the umbrella and see what I find now.

P.S. this is a great site. didn't think i'd get a reply so quickly.

First of all never run an outboard with the battery disconnected, it will smoke the rectifier, you can pull start it by turning the key on but not far enough to engage the starter.

Is it in neutral and if you have a dead man switch check that to be sure it is working And I am pretty certain there is more than 1 fuse on the engine so check the harness really well for a red rubber holder.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes it will run if the battery is dead, it makes its own power once it hits a certain rpm(300ish) so you are good there.

If you hit it with the rope you may have broken the wire so I would get a tester and see if you still have voltage going through the fuse.