1992 Johnson 150 V-6 Silver Star Series need advice

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello guys

I looking at a rig with a Johnson 150 V-6 Silver Star Series and needed some advice. Hull is fine needs some TLC but nothing I can't handle.

My question is about the motor. Is there problems with this year or the Silver Star series?

Guy said I can do compression test and run it in the drive way, but doest really want to drop it in the water becuase of unknown condition of water impeller because of sitting. I guess I could by the impeller and put her threw her paces on a sea trial though if need be.

Boat has been sitting for a couple of years and has been started up each year a couple of times to warm up to operating temp and then flushed a stored. Guy said he changed the L/U impeller and gear oil religiously every year. Seemed like he cared and knew how to keep a boat.

Need some feedback on this 1992 Johnson 150 V-6 Silver Star Series and what you guys think. It is still VRO I think, how reliable is the VRO?

Thanks,
DamianJP

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1992 Johnson 150 V-6 Silver Star Series need advice

If he is not willig to do a sea trial stay away....... IMHO

Unless you are getting a hell of a deal!!!!! Like almost free

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hello again

Well I talked to the guy again. I asked him to take a sea trial and he said he really didn't want to do that until the impeller and gear oil was changed, so I asked if I pay for the pump kit and gear oil can we go for a sea trial. He said thats fine but then said that he has a small freshwater canal by him that we can just drop it in and do a sea trial in that so incase the water pump is bad that we wont be stuck offshore.

He seems like a real nice guy and even offered to help me fiberglass 2 small softspots on the deck . He said he could keep the boat but it was his fathers and it has sentimental value 'but' he has a bigger boat for his family and this boat is just rotting away doing nothing. He would rather someone use it and take care of it then let it slowly sit there and basiclly go to waste.

He's willing to let me do a compression test/sea trial so that makes me feel more comfortable.

4 questions if I may.

1)But what about the 1992 Johnson. What was the silver star series all about and were they a dependable motor with proper maintance?

2)Were the 1990's era johnsons dependable and were they still johnson/evinrude?

3)How dependable was the Johnson VRO system?

4)What compression numbers should I be looking for? I know the 5-10 PSI difference but what ballpark numbers should I be looking for with johnsons?

Thanks again,
DamianJP

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would assume that if he wanted to sell his boat he would spend the 50 bucks and change the impeller, especially on a motor of that worth. If he is simply lazy, and you are truly interested in the boat, buying an impeller to get a sea trial could be worth it, especially if you found a fault. Losing 50 is better than the alternative. I would definately knock him down on the price though for your time.

If on the other hand, he refuses to let you change the impeller for a sea trial, run fast and long. Theres something fishy in the air, and it isnt the cleaning hut.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, made my last post before I read your reply.

It was introduced I believe in '91 along with the Evinrude Spitfire. They were supposed to be smaller and quiter V6's. They launched the flusher and the Optical Ignition.

You are looking for a 5 to 10 PERCENT difference, not psi. You likely wont get real high numbers on that V6.

They were not yet BRP in '91.

The VRO system will get you mixed reviews on here. I would go to the FAQ and do some reading, there are 2 threads in there with interesting reading.

Good luck.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hi HighTrim

Thank you for your response so quick.

Well he did say it was fine to change the pump kit and gear oil, but then said he has a freshwater canal by him close that we could run it in to see whats up if it would be easier on me.

Should I stick with putting in a new kit or just run the motor as is?

And you said especially on a motor of that worth, could you shed some light on this silver star series .

My dad has a 1977 evinrude that runs like a swiss time piece. It finally blew the head gasket out recently 'BUT' I can fix that easily. Thanks from the practice that I got on my nephews 200hp Merc,
this 55hp head will be easy to lift. :)

Thanks again,
DamianJP

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have that same 55hp, love it. Fast little motor. Answered your questions above. You will likely get over 100 psi on that motor, but dont be overly concerned if it is only 100 or slightly above, you wont be getting 160psi or anything like that on that V6. Main thing is that the cylinders are all within 10 percent of one another.

When I said motor of that worth, I just meant that it was by no means a 100 dollar motor, and should be worth it for hime to invest in an impeller to ease the sale. I always completely go over a motor before I sell it, but I always seem to lose money and time, lol. Guess its better than cleanin the house. At least the buyers of my motors are happy, not my wife though ;)

James R

Commander

High Trim. Was this a 60* motor? If it was then I recall there was a problem with a flaw in the block castings letting water into #2. I have two 1993 60* 150s which I have rebuilt and there was no problem with those. I understand that they did solve the problem and that later 1993s and after were good. Need to look in the plug hole to see if the piston top is black or shiny. Shiny is bad.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

They did have a problem with the early 60* V-6 's of getting water in #1 cyl due to a porus block. It took about 200-250 hrs for this to show up. Not all of them did it tho'.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

1)But what about the 1992 Johnson. What was the silver star series all about and were they a dependable motor with proper maintance?
Yes they are a 60? motor and fairly dependable. The Silver Star was just marketing & decal. All the 60? blocks from 1991-2000 are subject to water intrusion in #1 cylinder if glue line leaks where block was casted. These motors has had idle issues and several in field mod's was needed. One is the reed block gasket.
2)Were the 1990's era johnsons dependable and were they still johnson/evinrude?
Yes and Yes
3)How dependable was the Johnson VRO system?
The pump is a pretty good design ,the material that fuel /oil contacts is the problem.
4)What compression numbers should I be looking for? I know the 5-10 PSI difference but what ballpark numbers should I be looking for with johnsons?
With engine at temp, remove plugs and test. Compression should be 100psi or better and within 10%

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Well thanks for all this info Gentalmen

Yes they are a 60? motor and fairly dependable. The Silver Star was just marketing & decal. All the 60? blocks from 1991-2000 are subject to water intrusion in #1 cylinder if glue line leaks where block was casted. These motors has had idle issues and several in field mod's was needed. One is the reed block gasket.

A)And can all of these issues mentioned (Idle issues,and reed block gasket) be fixed?

B)What is the full list of "in the field mods" needed to make this motor run right?

C) When I get to the motor can I look for "steamed cleaned" plugs to check for water intrusion?

The pump is a pretty good design ,the material that fuel /oil contacts is the problem.

D)Can the VRO system be fixed to work, the material part of it? If not just covert to running pre mix?

Basically is there a chance that this motor can not have these symptoms? All the 91-2000 had these problems? This is really throwing a monkey wrench into things 'but' it's better to be safe than sorry. What should I do at this point, or am I spinning my wheels and should look for a different boat and motor?

Thanks,
DamianJP

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys

I looked around Iboats and found an older thread.

It's what they call the "glue seam leak". Kinda hard to explain but basically two pieces of foam were put together edge to edge rather than end to end. Once the casting was done there's a rather thin line where the foam was. It did not affect all 150/175 60* blocks. It really didn't show up in many 91 blocks. The later blocks with the casting number in the starboard side were ones not affected at all.

You could have a block that ran for years without being affected. Then the leak could pop up. Many times right after an overheating incident.

It can be fixed but it requires taking the #1 sleeve out and welding. Not too big a deal if you have to deal with it. I have a 1992 and a 1993 150 and neither one does it. If you're looking to buy a 60* V6 and there's no water in #1, I wouldn't worry about it.

1)Is this accurate , Cylinder #1 is only affected?

2)Also if it doesn't have steam cleaned plug in Cylinder #1 or the casting numbers are on the starboard side im ok? Anyone have a pic or can describe were these numbers are? Im gonna call the owner and get the #'s to shoot them to a BRP dealer to see if this block is affected.

3)If It doesnt have any water intrusion and defective castings, what other problems should I looking into with the early 60 degree v6's?

Thanks again,
DamianJP

jonesg

Admiral

1991 and 92 150hp OIS 60* engines did not have shift interruptor switches, they requires later mods to install them, they shifted hard.
Ask the seller if it was installed.
Heres some info.
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

The V6 loopers don't run high compression, mine runs strong at 80 psi.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks JonesSG

That gives me a place to start. Besides looking for the steam cleaned plugs/chamber.
And modding the ignition system.
After that what other mods does this engine need to run right?

Thanks,
DamianJP

jonesg

Admiral

I think you have it covered.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey all

Well thanks for all the help and info, all in valuable to me. :)

Got the #'s for the motor today off the gentalmen.

Model : VJ150EXENC

Serial : G03085688

Called BRP and asked about the defective casting and if this motor had bad castings and he quickly looked it up and said this motor had no problems with bad castings whatsoever. He didn't know about the shift sensors thought but that seems an easy fix other than the casting to be bad . :)

If someone has any input about the serial and/or model please feel free to let me know. Any more info would rock.:D

Thanks,
DamianJP

James R

Commander

I got it bassakwards. #1 cylinder was the one in question. Thanks guys for straightening that out.

James R

Commander

I have done two rebuilds on these motors and both indicated that the cylinders failed because of poor lubrication. However I don't think that this was a VRO failure. I think it was leaking at the carb or intake seals causing lean mixture conditions. Check for loose bolts that may be the cause of this. I have however, as a precaution, gone over to 50:1 mix on both motors. They are running just fine.