1970 60 hp evinrude triumph. electric shift problems?

catfishordie

Cadet
i have recently bought a fishing boat with an electric shift evinrude. i cannot get it to shift out of foward. i have read on here that there is to wires that come out of the lower unit that can be tested to see if they're getting the correct voltage? where are these wires located? im having trouble finding them. also the guy i bought it from said he just got the lower unit serviced. im wondering if when he got it serviced if it was filled with the wrong oil. if this is the case is there anything i can flush the lower unit with and then refill? thanks for any advice that can be given

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 60 hp evinrude triumph. electric shift problems?

If filled with the wrong oil, simply drain and fill it with the proper oil. No flushing necessary. That unit must use what is called "Premium Blend", also known as "Type C", available at your dealership, and I believe Sierra.

(Hydro Electric Shift System Explained)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

Note: The engine must be running OR have the driveshaft turning by some other means in order for the engine to shift.

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

catfishordie

Cadet

so basically if i apply voltage manually to the wires and get the motor to shift then the problem is not in lower unit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

so basically if i apply voltage manually to the wires and get the motor to shift then the problem is not in lower unit?

That is correct. Always do firat things first.

Gotta ask this---is it running? It will not shift unless it is running, or at least cranking. When not running, it will always be in forward gear.

catfishordie

Cadet

That is correct. Always do firat things first.

Gotta ask this---is it running? It will not shift unless it is running, or at least cranking. When not running, it will always be in forward gear.

yes the motor runs great and i tried getting it to shift while running. what side of the motor is the wires on? please forgive my ignorance this is my first experience with an electric shift

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Bingo!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The wires that you are looking for are locate on the port side of the motor in the cowl pan. They will be in awiring tube, with the ends exposed, but covered by two (one each) rubber boots. Slide the boots up the wires, exposing the knife connectors. These connectors join together much like a handshake. Rotate the connectors in a manner as to create a "V" and you will see how they separate.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

????

POTTSY5297

Recruit

Hello everyone. I have a 1971 60 hp evinrude engine that was told that was fully working from the guy that gave it to me, but when I first tried to start it, all I could hear was clicking from the starting solenoid and could not get the engine out of gear. So I did some research and found the wiring diagram checked all the wires and they seemed right. So I decided to pull of the gear box and take a closer look. I found that there was water in my oil so it has to be fixed but that?s not my problem. so anyway I pulled off the gearbox, found the solenoid and found the two blue and green wires, I also tried to see if the solenoid did anything but it didn?t, so I thought it was the solenoid until I try putting 12v through the green wire and cranked it over. And all I could hear was that clicking noise from the starting solenoid. I tested if current flowed point with the electric shift switches and it did but what would I still have that clicking? My starter motor works because when I put 12v to it and it turns over. Could it be the starting solenoid? Thanks
I also have a video on YouTube about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bko50URcYMg&feature=plcp

dougdal

Recruit

The wires that you are looking for are locate on the port side of the motor in the cowl pan. They will be in awiring tube, with the ends exposed, but covered by two (one each) rubber boots. Slide the boots up the wires, exposing the knife connectors. These connectors join together much like a handshake. Rotate the connectors in a manner as to create a "V" and you will see how they separate.

so im reading this post i have the same problem as this guy.
i am a little more mechanically inclined. And would love to here more from you.

with my motor running i've been sending power to the lower unit. it still wont shift out of fwd. ?