1998 Evinrude 175 hp Repower

n-Traffic-2

Recruit
Newbe here,

I am going to try and install a 1998 Evinrude 175 hp on the back of my 1991 Basscat.
Im will be replacing a 1993 XRI Merc 200hp.

I should do fine removing the old and bolting on the new. Where I have questions is the Remote linkage and the Wiring.

Is there a Wire Harness that I can buy to replace the old merc.
Will the Merc prop work on the Evinrude.
I have searched the web for Harness with no luck.

Any help would be super

Thank you
Rick:confused:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1998 Evinrude 175 hp Repower

See here for controls: http://shop.evinrude.com/products/84236/Remote_Controls

The control and harness can usuaully be found on Ebay or the salvage yards listed under the sticky at the top of the post list. Unlikely the Merc prop will be useable on the Evinrude. If the diameter is right for the Evinrude, there's a chance it could be rehubbed for the Evinrude, but I'd be inclined to sell it and get a correct prop for the Evinrude. The pitch may not be right either.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rich, The controls and wiring are different. I am not sure the wiring could be adapted, so you might as well replace it when you swap the controls. The Merc prop can be made to fit the Johnny, by drilling off a lot of the brass splines in the hub. You will then need to grind a new thrust washer as well. You can reuse the Johnny spacer and the Merc locknut and spider washer.

The gear ratios of the motors are different, so you might be overpropped with the Merc prop.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The gear ratios of the motors are different, so you might be overpropped with the Merc prop
So close it wont make a difference as the Johnrude is 1:86 and the Merc is 1:87. The wiring is BIA coded and the only reason you have to change controls is Merc pulls for throttle and OMC pushes. You could change out the shifter cable with the 630style cable and buy the OMC ends and use control box for shifting and starting by splicing. The throttle issue solved by using a hootfoot and cable.

n-Traffic-2

Recruit

So close it wont make a difference as the Johnrude is 1:86 and the Merc is 1:87. The wiring is BIA coded and the only reason you have to change controls is Merc pulls for throttle and OMC pushes. You could change out the shifter cable with the 630style cable and buy the OMC ends and use control box for shifting and starting by splicing. The throttle issue solved by using a hootfoot and cable.

Thank you all for the help... Where and what do i look for in a wireharness. I would rather change it and the controls. I there are 3 male and 3 female conectors on the Evinrude do all conectors get used. If so where do i get a harness.
Rick