Vintage Evinrude charging option

mitchp

Seaman
I have a 1959 Evinrude Golden Jubilee 35 hp, powering my MFG 14 foot runabout. I asked my father if this OB has a charging system. He told me that when he purchased his 1960 Evinrude 40 hp new, that the charging system was availble as an option, which added cost to the motors price. He bought the motor as a base model w/o the altrenator option. He used his rig as a duck hunting boat, and would remove the battery after each use and take it home to put on charger. Not to make myself look ignorint, but how can i tell if my ob has this charging system? So far i have not obtained a shop repair manual. What would be the best repair manual to seek out? My experiance as a many year motorcycle guy, has thought me that any repair manual that tries to cover many years of a certain model, tends to fall a bit short on any (1) paticular motor. P.S How does one seek out a truely good marine mechanic? Thanks Mitch. Cant wait for spring!

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: Vintage Evinrude charging option

it will have a belt on top of the flywheel and a generator on the side of the motor and there will be wires running to and from it

these motors are REALLY SIMPLE and you should be able to do most of your own work on them with a few simple tools and the knowlege on here

start by giving us your model number and then we can give you a run down of things to do and check BEFORE you try to run it

take that silly beer coaster back to wherever you got it !!(youll find that is about all its good for )
go on ebay and get a used OMC service and or owners manual for it that will be far more helpful than the one you have and for about the same money too ...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A good, fully charged battery should be able to keep the motor ready to start for several weeks of regular use. If you really feel you need charging capability, get yourself a solar trickle charger to keep the battery topped off. Unless you are running the battery dead using lights, fish finders, livewells, etc., the solar charger should keep you going. Plus, your motor has a pull start for emergency use, too...

lindy46

Captain

Yup - a solar charger is the way to go. I have one on my pontoon battery. My motor is a 1957 35hp Lark. It takes little power to start it. I also have running lights and a fish finder. I don't have to put an external battery charger on it all summer.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I concur. I had an old Viking 25hp on my pontoon boat a couple of summers ago and had a one foot square solar panel and I never had to charge the battery once. It's the easy way to go.

mitchp

Seaman

:redface::redface:Thanks for the real world answers to my questions. Im an old school guy, who has bucked useing the internet for a long time. Damn, give me a good swift kick. I didnt know what i was missing out on. Thank you all. Mitch.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

My neighbour gave me mine. But they are cheap.

wbeaton

Commander

I put together an electric start kit for my 1957 Evinrude. After the smoke settled it cost me about $100. If you buy the kit off eBay it will put you back around $400 after you get all the necessary parts. You will need a generator, generator bracket, belt and voltage regulator. You may also want to add an amp meter. A solar panel is definatley the way to go if the battery is only used for starting. Once you add lights, horn, bilge, fish finder, GPS, etc you may want charging capabilities.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

No, those appear to be the kill wires attached to the 2 coils. If you short them together via a switch the engine will die.

kbait

Commander

I switched my running/cockpit light bulbs to LED to save juice.. '65 40hp Evinrude w/no generator. Deep cycle battery lasts a long time.. especially when you just bump the key to start. I'm going to look into a solar charger - sounds like a sweet deal!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I used a small solar panel (maybe a foot square) and it kept my battery charged for the whole summer for my 25hp a couple of summers ago. If it's just lights you should be ok. If more, get a bigger panel!