Fuel Dripping Out of Exhaust - '97 Johnson 175 HP

HS91_Mike

Seaman
I have a '97 Johhson 175 hp OceanRunner on the back of my 20' Center console.Ran the boat out this weekend after getting it back from the shop, again. On the top end (around 5000 rpms), the boat ran and sounded great!! However, while idling at the dock, the exhaust smoked heavily (more than usual) and I noticed gas dripping out of the exhaust and leaving a sheen in the water at the dock.

The engine also bogged down when I went to power up as we idled out of the no-wake zone. I reduced throttle and tried again and the engine bogged, and bogged and then just took off and climbed steadily to WOT. It did this several times when we went from idling around to fulll throttle. Also, while idling around trying to hone in on some structure, the smokey exhaust had a strong gas odor to it. :confused:

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Dripping Out of Exhaust - '97 Johnson 175 HP

Curious, what did the shop do to it or say they did? Off hand it sounds like a carb prob.

HS91_Mike

Seaman
Re: Fuel Dripping Out of Exhaust - '97 Johnson 175 HP

They did some carb work. Needle jet in one of the carbs was gummed up. Have had endless E10 (or whatever grade of alcohol is in it problems) alcohol/water problems. Also had them empty the tank, replace lines and fliter/separator. I think that the engine is a little fat on the low end and am planning on leaning out the low end. I also started running non-ethanol 89 octane gas. No more E10 for me.