1987 Evinrude 200hp outboard resto/rebuild

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm starting this thread because it does not fit into the Fiberglass section of Iboats. I just finished off the majority of the transom rebuild of my 1991 Bayliner Trophy 2002WA. And It's time to start the motor. I bought this motor as a basket case for $400. It did not run, nor was it completely assembled. It was in pieces on the guys floor. The power head actually came home in the front seat in my 2002 Ford Focus four door sedan. While the rest was in the back seat and truck. To say the least I have a major project on my hands. Why I decided to use this motor was two fold. First it was a fresh water motor, second I wanted a project! I love Projects!:eek:

The guy I bought it off stated the power head did not match the leg. He had bought the power head complete motor for the extra long shaft leg attached to it to use on his Boat. So he did a power head swap. The identification plate on the leg I have is for a 1986 200 hp stlcua. The power head still needs to be positively identified as to model. I believe it is a 1987 200hp stl or XP. I base this finding on a number of things. They are:

1) Carb Jetting size. (Idel #48, Mid #14, High #74D)
2) Carb to intake gasket. The gasket matches the STLCUA model and not the TLXCUC Two round holes on edge of gasket and not the one round and one oblong hole.
3) The plastic air breather extra insert.

From my reseach there is a difference in the bore size of the carbs and the heads are possibly different as well. But also the 225 and 200tlx have the same carbs but different heads. It a bit confussing to me.

First question: How do I positively Identify the power size and model? The plug with the model number is missing. The guy I bought it off of has not provided me the model number of the leg he has, after repeated requests. Is there some casting number in the head that will identify this power head.

I have removed the head from the block and inspected the bore of each cyclinder. They have no scoring and can still see the honing marks. The pistons are marked as .030 oversize. So someone has had this motor go south on them before. The Stator also appears to be melted so that system will need attention.

I plan on doing the following things to it in order to get it ready for my boat;

1) Strip down the block to the reed plate and heads. Do a basic dimensional and visual inspections for issue. Ie Bad reeds, bore size, and head flatness.
2) Reassemble the block with complete new gaskets. Still have not decided weather or not I will replace the main seals top and bottom. Local dealer is saying that they rearly go. (Advise wanted on this issue)
3) Complete water system maintence. Also conversion to the modified thermostart method. Seams the motor has already been done.
4) Complete electrical system check and maintence, Check every electrical contact point and inspect for wear and corosion. Also check every component for funtionallity.
5) Complete fuel system rebuild and inspection. Plan on rebuilding all carbs, VRO fuel pump, and going with a premix system. (possible VRO pump replacement with a non VRO pump, any ideas and recommendation would be appreciated)
6) Whole motor midsection and leg disassembled, cleaned, sand blasted, and repainted to proper primer and paints. (XP blue if model is same)
7) Trim system disassembly and clean and inspection. If anything needs rebuild then it will be done on an as needed basis.
8) Rebuild starter and trim pump. Actually looking at ording a new started and rebuild trim pump. Unless new pump is cheap enough.

Here is a couple of pics of the motor.

DSCN1270-1.jpg

DSCN1271-1.jpg

DSCN1272-1.jpg

DSCN1273-1.jpg

DSCN1274-1.jpg

Now I'm sure there are people out there thinking I'm nuts. And I can probably buy a running motor for what I am going to sink into this one. But I am not nuts, like I said earlier I love projects. Also in order for me to feel safe when I am 10-20 mile from shore I would go through any motor the same as I am planning on doing here. I am a Engineer by trade and do not assume anything in life. Whe I do assume things, they usually come back and bites me in the a**. And for me its normally when I am 25 miles from shore in 6-7ft swells.

I picked this motor soully on the price alone. The name brand helped a bit. From my understanding Evinrude and Johnsons from these two years (86-87) and size where geat motors other than the VRO giving out and Startors burning out.

I hope everyone is in for a good ride/show while I do this, and I hope it comes out in the end.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Evinrude 200hp outboard resto/rebuild

thats a 225 head on there333809

SparkieBoat

Captain

I replaced my vro (had to replace the fuel pump on EVERY VRO motor I have ever owned) with the fuel only version and pre mix..they aint cheap and is one of the main reasons I am abandoning OMC..IMO they produced a low quality and very over price fuel pump..this kind of stuff ticks me off..they should be able to produce a good quality fuel pump closer to the $100 range. I am sure you will have a good motor when you are through. be sure to test all the electronics with a DVA meter. Working on outboards is a great hobby, I do enjoy it also.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

the part number on the head came off a 88-89 225 your carbs seem to be the big bores a plate on the side of the carbs will confirm that it would seam maybe someone might of taken the 2.7 heads off they had a casting number 3331490 i also had bunch of differant parts off 2 motors you can find block number under powerhead or on top under stator also numbers on starboard side where crankcase block come togather shoot me some part numbers we shall see what you got. it could be 2.7 ltr 200 with 225 heads someone put on to detune let me know

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I replaced my vro (had to replace the fuel pump on EVERY VRO motor I have ever owned) with the fuel only version and pre mix..they aint cheap and is one of the main reasons I am abandoning OMC..IMO they produced a low quality and very over price fuel pump..this kind of stuff ticks me off..they should be able to produce a good quality fuel pump closer to the $100 range. I am sure you will have a good motor when you are through. be sure to test all the electronics with a DVA meter. Working on outboards is a great hobby, I do enjoy it also.

One question about the DVA meter. I see online "EBAY" and some companies offer DVA leads that are used with normal automotive meters. They make the conversion for peek reading. Do these work? Anyone ever use one?

Also I was possibly thinking of using the basic 5/16" in/out johnson fuel pump for replacing the VRO. But the VRO supplies 3/8 fuel lines for all the carbs. I think there would be a volume problem. I was thinking of using possibly using two 5/16 pumps split "Tee'd" at the incoming fuel and metered/connected to three carbs each. The pulse would be "tee'd" as well to the two pumps. This should over come the volume problem. So long as there would be enough "pulse" to operate the pumps. Any thought on this idea? I really do not like the VRO pump. But before people start in on the VRO ating, I will admit I do not know anything about them other then the bad things you hear. I do not want to spend 400 buck on the non-vro pump. And I have the parts to reuild the fuel side of the VRO and block off the oil side.

Jeff,

Been following your Bayliner rebuild work and I have been anxious to see this thread. Take lots of pics because I want to learn more about these motors also. Keep up the great work.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I plan on documenting everything with tons of pics. That way if anyone sees a problem, please!!!! point it out before I run the motor and ruin it. But also we all learn from each others work. For the next couple of days I'll be identifying things. I have to replace the brakes and pressed in bearing in my sisters car before I get into this project too deep. Plus I have been igoring some maintence to my own vehicles with the boat in the garage. Not is catch up time. Then its motor time!!!!!!

One question about the DVA meter. I see online "EBAY" and some companies offer DVA leads that are used with normal automotive meters. They make the conversion for peek reading. Do these work? Anyone ever use one?

Also I was possibly thinking of using the basic 5/16" in/out johnson fuel pump for replacing the VRO. But the VRO supplies 3/8 fuel lines for all the carbs. I think there would be a volume problem. I was thinking of using possibly using two 5/16 pumps split "Tee'd" at the incoming fuel and metered/connected to three carbs each. The pulse would be "tee'd" as well to the two pumps. This should over come the volume problem. So long as there would be enough "pulse" to operate the pumps. Any thought on this idea? I really do not like the VRO pump. But before people start in on the VRO ating, I will admit I do not know anything about them other then the bad things you hear. I do not want to spend 400 buck on the non-vro pump. And I have the parts to reuild the fuel side of the VRO and block off the oil side.

Jeff,

The DVA adapters should work fine.
As far as the 5/16" vs. 3/8" lines goes, I think that the 5/16" will be okay. Remeber you only need to supply enough to keep the fuel bowls in the carbs filled...right. I have a pre-VRO Johnson 115Hp. I have read and heard good and bad things about the VRO system. Most DIYers prefer not to mess with the VRO becuase they require more maintenance to keep them running in tip top shape. Most Johnnyrude mechanics think the VRO is a good system and unfairly gets blamed for problems not related to the VRO. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I am an engineer like you and I personally I like things simple. I am okay with the premix.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeff thanks for sharing your excellent knowledge on your projects you have been working on, I been tracking your post on the restoration site.
I have a OEM manual for this Year/Model range. Check this link out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d2cf72d0c
If its something you can use and don't have one PM me your address and I will ship it to you, use it and return it if you like or keep it choice is yours, cost to you zero dollars.
I the proud owner of both 140 v4 Models from 87, super easy and economical motor to own and fix.
On the bench as we speak is a restore in progress my spare engine that is, I have some parts, some of which will fit your engine, let me know if you need something.
I replaced every single piece of old wire on my motor, harness to key switch and never looked back including the old OMC T&T relay box with all new CDI harness and control box for under 300 dollars. Why mess around when one can be fishing?
I recommend you pull the heads, use a caliper and measure the bore size if it's a 86/87 200HP your bore size should be 3.530in (.30) the bore size for 88 and on is 3.715in
You have some very knowledgeable folks one here who will help you.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jeff thanks for sharing your excellent knowledge on your projects you have been working on, I been tracking your post on the restoration site.
I have a OEM manual for this Year/Model range. Check this link out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d2cf72d0c
If its something you can use and don't have one PM me your address and I will ship it to you, use it and return it if you like or keep it choice is yours, cost to you zero dollars.
I the proud owner of both 140 v4 Models from 87, super easy and economical motor to own and fix.
On the bench as we speak is a restore in progress my spare engine that is, I have some parts, some of which will fit your engine, let me know if you need something.
I replaced every single piece of old wire on my motor, harness to key switch and never looked back including the old OMC T&T relay box with all new CDI harness and control box for under 300 dollars. Why mess around when one can be fishing?
I recommend you pull the heads, use a caliper and measure the bore size if it's a 86/87 200HP your bore size should be 3.530in (.30) the bore size for 88 and on is 3.715in
You have some very knowledgeable folks one here who will help you.

Thanks for the offer of the service manual. Already have a factory service manual. I do plan on checking the bore sizes. But another member has already identified the motor for me by the casting number on the head. It is a 1987 225hp Evinrude. The casting number is 333809.

I am looking for one part right now. The previous guy that took the power head also took the pwer steering. When he removing it he damaged the tilt tube for my motor. Need to get a replacement non powersteering tilt tube. I believe I have all the other parts. But only time will tell.

What do you run for fuel pump on you motors? The VRO or the other style (Premix) Also have you ever had a problem with the main crank seals going? I have had this issue on a snowmoble before that is why I ask.

I plan on going thru the whole electrical. Like you said I rater be fishing then working on this on the water this summer.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think if you want to use the older style pumps use 2 of them inline..not the tee idea. but rebuilding your old one and blocking off vro should work also. If you al;ready have a multi meter you can get this for DVA readings..it is the one I use.
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatoolwarehouse/ESI-640.html

Why the inline? Wouldn't there e a volume issue. A 5/16 line can not supply the same amount of fuild as a 3/8 line. Or is it that the dual 5/16 line will pump faster to make up the difference?

Those are the ones I was looking at. I'll be pickig up a pair.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're doing an awesome job on this motor. You've already added 25HP!! :p:D

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeff, I am running pre-mix, The pump on my running engine is VRO however is plug and I pre-mix, the engine I am rebuilding came with a pre-mix pump which the previous owner told me was less that a month old.
Search on this on this forum, You can use the pre-mix pumps from the earlier models Check out this blog http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=265363

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

jeff , the heads i identified as 225 heads the bore could be 2.7 ltr 200. which is 3.4995-3.5005 the 225 is 3.6845-3.6855 so you wont know till you check that hope that helps

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 01-28-2011

Update 01-28-2011

Did not get much done last night. Seeing it was my 9 year anneversery yesterday, let say I had maintence issues outside the garage to attend to. But that is another story...... This is what I did get done before I left the garage for the night.

I started the evening by assembling the engine stand I bought from Harbour Freight for $35 a couple of weeks ago. It was a good proce for something that I will probably use only once. Plus it will help throughout this project. I do need to pick up 4 hardened bolts 3/8"x2.5" to mount the motor to it. Here is a pick of the stand.

DSCN1315-1.jpg

After that was done and seeing that supper was not ready yet, I took off the mid section side covers and started looking around. Here is my first question for the day. In the pic there is 4 arrows pointing to 4 threaded holes. Trying to figure out what they are for. I am thinking that they are for the old thermostat system. Can some one confirm.

DSCN1294-1.jpg

Then I removed the heads from the block and started looking around. Here is a pic of the heads. They are in great shape and the casting number is 333809.

DSCN1283-1.jpg

I then measured the bore diameter to confirm the engine size. The measurement was 3.714"-3.715". That is the measurement from the top port bore in two right angles to each other. Here is a pic of the bore mic after the measurement was taken.

DSCN1317-1.jpg

I also noticed that every bore has been over bored by 0.030". The starboard side cylinder bores are in great shape with not marks or score lines. The port side top and bottom bores have very minor scuffs/score lines. When I run my finger nail over the score lines I can not even feel them with my nail, meaing that my nail does not catch on them. I'm thinking of having the block honed to get rid of the glaze/scuffs with new rings. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also how big of oversize pistons and rings are there available? 0.040"??? I'll post te pics in the next post.

I also started looking at the fuel pump and electrical systems. They are in a bit of rough shape. There is more but connectors in this wire harness then all of my boat. Will deffinately need to fix this up. Here is a pic.

DSCN1284-1.jpg

Cont'd next post.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 01-28-2011 cont'd

Update 01-28-2011 cont'd

Here are the bore pics on the exhaust side only. The exhaust side is the only side that had the score lines on them The intake side did not have any.

Top port

top-port.jpg

Mid Port

mid-port-1.jpg

Bottom Port

low-port.jpg

Bottom Starboard

low-star-1.jpg

Mid Starboard

mid-star-1.jpg

Cont'd next post......

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 01-28-2011 cont'd Rev-2

Update 01-28-2011 cont'd Rev-2

And lastly here is the top starboard.

top-star-1.jpg

A couple more questions. I plan on disassembling the block this weekend. I was going to pick up a couple of cans of automotive brake cleaner or even carb cleaner. Can I use these on this bare block?

Also how muc does honing take off? 0.002-0.003"?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Update 01-28-2011 cont'd Rev-2

Re: Update 01-28-2011 cont'd Rev-2

Jeff the bore size you posted clearly places you out of the 86/87 Year , this is the big bore 88 or up which your bore size matches .
As for oversize options .40 is max if not a re-sleeve which is expensive way to go period.
Please go the this site and plug in your information you will see why I am concern..If you install the wrong size jets/carbs you will be in doing this all over again.
http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx
Bore - Standard: 3.685in
Bore - Actual: 3.715in
Bore - Oversize: .030in
Cylinder Position: Starboard
Note: Loop Charge