10 Horse Evinrude Outboard, Water pump, Temp gauge and Carb cleaning

captTmann

Recruit
Hey all, I was referred here by a friend of mine CaptainD101. I just bought my first boat/outboard combo. Its a 14Ft Aluminum Semi V front Jon boat and a 10 horse evinrude Tiller. I'm not quite sure of the motor's year yet, But the boat is a 74 and the motor appears to be from the same era. The motor starts up and runs after a few pulls (I think a good ole carb cleaning will fix that, I will be checking the compression as well) But I'm not getting the amount of water out of the **** hole as I think I should be getting. This is why I'm going to do the Temperature gauge, as I believe it is overheating due to the lack of water flow. Today is the first day I have done any wrenching on it at all. I pulled the lower unit in about 30 minutes or so, The LU oil was a dark gray color. I am getting ready to pull off the cap on the water pump, I got three of the 4 screws removed, The last one was stripped and I'm going to have to get an easyout to pull it. (yay for Harbor Frieght) I think I have some Kind of weirdness going on.. Or at least I think there is. Upon pulling the lower unit I was looking at the tube that would most likely carry the water up to the engine block and it looked to be cut at an angle and it didn't appear to be seated into the water pump's output... Ill put a picture of that up tomorrow. Is this normal? I was thinking maybe this was the reason that I wasn't getting the correct amount of Water flow. I found a couple good sticky's for water pump rebuilds and such and will be following those during the process. Also upon my initial test run of the motor it is very finicky getting it into the forward gear. Reverse and neutral are not a problem at all but Forward gets tricky. I was able to get it into forward but I honestly couldn't tell you how I did it. What are some of the causes of this and what would be a recommended fix. I did notice that up towards the carb when shifting it looks like the linkage has a part kinda broke on it, It looks like a screw broke out of its hole I'm not sure. I will post some close ups of that at a later date. Id like to do all the service on the LU that yall think I should before moving onto the powerhead.

I figured I'd start up a thread and post pictures of the process and hopefully my experiences will help others in their projects. Once the service is done on this motor I'm gonna start up a new thread in the boat restoration folder to chronicle the custom work I will be doing on the actual jon boat itself. Eventually I'd like to do some sort of sealing on the bottom, sand and paint the sides, The owner before me built a deck on the front out of a road sign, I'm going to be removing that and putting in my own custom front deck with storage as well as a livewell up front, Also i'm going to rip the standard jon boat seats out for more space in the middle and im going to place a deck there as well, Will be building a poling platform on the back for the Flats in Mosquito lagoon FL ( Good times there ) Ill be installing a 2 speaker stereo system as well as a fish finder and all of the correct lighting as well as some auxillary lighting ( might do 2 battery system to run the electronics/trolling motor). This boat is gonna be used primarily for fishing and might be used on occasion in the intercoastal to go to an island we like to party at. Trailer needs a little work, Ill be replacing the runner boards and installing the trailer light risers. I'm excited to share this experience with you and can't wait for your feedback :)

Ill do a couple posts tomorrow of pictures, I sent them to my email but they are taking forever and its time for bed.

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: 10 Horse Evinrude Outboard, Water pump, Temp gauge and Carb cleaning

DONT USE AN EASY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
use a left handed drill bit the easy out will break off in there and youll NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER find a drill bit that can drill through and easyout

napa has left handed drill bit sets for around 20 bux and there pretty good ones too

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The water tube is supposed to be cut on an angle, to make it easier to insert in the pump grommet.

Sounds like your shift linkage is worn out.

You need a 12V battery to power a temperature gauge. An unnecessary gizmo, anyway.

There is no such thing as an Easy Out. It ain't easy, and it won't get it out. But they are one of the best ways I know of to destroy a motor. If you have never drilled out a stainless steel screw in aluminum and installed a Heli-Coil, you are in for a memorable experience. It requires much practice. Are you sure you want to learn on this job? People that do this for a living charge for it----and deserve every penny.

captTmann

Recruit

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

I did some work on it today, We took a rotozip and cut the head off the screw and then removed the housing and were able to grab onto it with a pair of vicegrips and we got it out :D!!! The impeller is shot and there is alot of corrsion in there, The impeller was intact but the blades were very worn and it definately needed to be replaced. I was able to pull out the thermostat*** ( sorry for the confusinon F-R) It was kinda rough looking i hear they are cheap so I will just replace it. I have pictures i just have to load them up tonight when i get off of work. I will leave a detailed post as well as the pictures of everything and some pictures of the boat in general. :) Thanks guys and look for the pictures tomorrow in the morning :)

captTmann

Recruit

I'm having troubles loading pictures from my phone to my computer but I will post a bunch when I get it figured out.

I did some research and found the model number and found out that this is a 1970 9.5HP Evinrude. I also found the parts that i believe i need. The thermostat which is Part No 5005440 Impeller which is part No 802316, And i think i need this seal to go back on with the housing, Part no 0309607... Do I need that specific seal or can i buy some gasket from the local auto parts store and just cut to fit?