1986 Johnson 90 V4 flywheel removal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice
Hello
I am going to remove the flywheel on my Johnson, but since i'm from Europe and we use mm insted of inch i have a question?

What size is the bolt in the middel that hold the flywheel, i have measured it in mm and it is about 33,3 mm, witch i looked up on the internet to be 1' 5/16 is that correct?

The 3 bolts that will be needed to pull of the flywheel what size are those in inches, and does any one know what kind o tread the 3 bolts should be?

I have taken a picture of the flywheel so you can see it.

Hope someone can help me...

Jannik

Attachments

• DSC00082.jpg
    DSC00082.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 Johnson 90 V4 flywheel removal...

The flywheel nut is indeed 1-5/16 inches. The three holes for the puller bolts are 5/16 inch, fine thread (24 TPI).

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Chinewalker
Thanks for the quick responce, nice to know the right size so i don't ruin them.

Thanks again - Jannik

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The bolts and washers need to be Gr8 or they will break or strip the threads in the flywheel and the piece they're used with is a harmonic balancer puller (or much more expensive, the correct BRP/OMC tool).harmonic balancer puller.jpg

CRUNCHY

Cadet

What length bolts should I buy? (I haven't seen my buddies flywheel puller yet to know better so have to ask).
What length of 5/16" 24TPI GR8 bolts should I get? (By the way, I am pulling a flywheel on a '00, 200 Johnson SeaHorse engine. Is the 5/16" still the right size for my flywheel?)

Thanks in advance guy's!

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

What length bolts should I buy? (I haven't seen my buddies flywheel puller yet to know better so have to ask).
What length of 5/16" 24TPI GR8 bolts should I get? (By the way, I am pulling a flywheel on a '00, 200 Johnson SeaHorse engine. Is the 5/16" still the right size for my flywheel?)

Thanks in advance guy's!

4" bolts should do the trick. If you have access to an air impact wrench that would help. Use the impact wrench to remove the flywheel nut. Set up the puller with the three bolts evenly screwed in to the flywheel, as far in as you can go. Use the impact wrench to tighten the puller center bolt. Ping the top of the center bolt, with a hammer, a few times. Never pry on the outer edges of the flywheel!! If does not come loose, spray some penetrating oil on the crankshaft and let sit overnight. Try to tighten the puller center bolt again and ping with the hammer.

Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to get one to break loose. Be patient.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Long enough to gently bottom in the holes and go thru the puller body. You will have to measure. A little too long is OK ... too short is NG.

CRUNCHY

Cadet

Well I think I am ready to take a crack at it today. Have 4" 5/16" #8's w/ washers, a 1-7/16" and 38MM socket, a harmonic balancer and a little Kryoil penetrating oil. (no air impact wrench...)
W/ all of the tremendous information available at this site and the immediate friendly/helpful input from DargelJohn and Wildeone, I am as prepared as I think I can be. Thank you! Wish me luck...

CRUNCHY

Cadet

Ultimate success! I thought I would provide my experience so to help others, now that I am a **certified Stator replacemnt guy.. More on that later. My project involves a '2000 Johnson 200 HP Ocean Runner/Looper engine. I don't want everyone to expect their application to mimic my spec's but after discussing w/ my 'Real Expert', he describes the puller bolt size for my typical engine size range to be: ?I just use the bolts that came w/ the puller?, and that summary prompts me to believe the size is 'TYPICAL'. (I'm sure his puller is a factory correct OMC tool... My flywheel puller bolt size was actually 8 MM, not 5/16"! I used a standard sized Harmonic Balancer / puller. My ultimately used bolt length was 3.5" but I think as short as 2" would be adequate. Yes the thread size is 'Fine' and grade 8 worked fine w/ no failure. What a collection I now have - (4) 4" 5/16" standard thread, (3) 4" 5/16" fine thread and the correct (3) 3.5" 8MM fine thread. Hey, I only purchased (4) Grade 8 washers!
Flywheel nut size: I will not share the futile frustration this socket procurement endured, to simply share that a 36MM socket bought a Sears was the right tool. Yes the nut size is 1-7/16" but not having to a better ?thin-walled? tool retailer like Snap-on, or otherwise, I unsuccessfully called at least 10 local options to ultimately have Sears success. DO NOT buy the Sears 1-7/16" 3/4" drive w/ a 1/2 to 3/4" drive adapter. The socket wall thickness is gigantic and I can't imagine the others that decided to grind off the excess socket tip material so that it would fit in the MUCH SMALLER flywheel recess diameter! The 36MM worked and fit perfectly.
Here's the last bit of nut removal advice I can share. We tried numerous half-as_ methods to keep the flywheel from spinning to break the nut, all failing miserably. Having **'BUD'S" as a friend, we were able to borrow a 'Flywheel Tool'. We did not try the wedging a bar between one/two of the puller bolts, like I have read as an option by others here, but frankly I think serious damage to the bolts/flywheel puller bolt holes plugged w/ sheared/snapped bolt heads? would occur and I am not sure how the socket breaker bar w/ fit along w/ bar crossed to two of the puller bolts. Everything would be struggling for the small and very limited space. My advise would be that any weekend warrior like me would be best served to get a ?Flywheel Tool? lined up to take on a flywheel removal project on an engine size that my little 200 HP required. (rememberthe nut is torqed to 150 ft #?s. I was lucky to have a friend who lent me one. I am not sure if you can easily rent one or what, but do yourself a favor and just get one. (It looks like a small 'Log Pick' the lumber jacks use. We applied the tool so that the one end was jammed against the starter shroud, and it worked!

I am not sure if the fact that I had sprayed AeroKroil (Sp?) penetrating oil on the nut and flywheel recess a week before, but after significant puller bolt pressure was applied the flywheel exploded w/ a loud bang. We actually thought something broke it was so dramatic! W/ the flywheel socket left loose but on the shaft the flywheel and key seperated perfectly.

**In my crisis time of need, I, or should I correctly say my friend Bryan made a desperate and very embarrassed call to 'The Expert of the South Shore'! I need to STRONGLY REQUEST that no one even thinks about reaching out to our friend to borrow anything! He is a friend and we were just darn lucky to have a friend like Bud Jr.! He will not loan anything out, period.
My project was a Stator replacement. We called Bud's Marine (in Ocean City NJ) and we were quickly driving to see Bud Jr. who offered to loan us his flywheel tool. Our short talk essentially included by Bud, what time of 'late night' did you two genius' decide to take on this type of project yourselves, w/ a very pregnant silence to follow. He then quickly explained what the entire task was to include which left me very scared and ready to jump in the nearby bay, defaulted to think I would probably be first in line on May 28th being the first available repair appointment his shop had available now. With a glimmer in his speculative eye, knowing the inexperience he was hand holding, he said if we were miraculously able to pull this entire project off successfully, he would hire us part-time......We later embellished this to actually mean we would be Bud's 'Certified Marine Mechanics' if we pulled this GD miracle off! Now scared to death we left. Me yelling at my buddy who said if I order the part we could just slap it in, no problem! Now convinced certain doom when my buddy Brian's eyes also glossed over when Bud further described the need to completely dismember and essentially remove the Power Pack and all of the intricate care to rebuild all of the wiring and connections w/ out the very likely possibility of pinching this and crushing/shearing that.

Was Bud Jr. so very surprised when we beamingly returned the tool just hours later boosting SUCESS! Turned out, you are safe to know, that we will not be working on anyone else's boat/engine at his place EVER. Good luck to you all and I Can't thank you Bud Jr enough! As you may know, Bud's Marine (in OC) is the best Johnson/Evinrude mechanic in the South Shore! Thank you so very much my friend Bryan! We did it!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

... and you torqued the flywheel nut to the correct value when replacing the flywheel and made sure the taper and fw bore were clean and dry?

CRUNCHY

Cadet

I think the flywheel nut was actually over torqued. Having a max 150 # torque wrench, I got it to click when I jerked it. I then but a pipe on a breaker bar and tightend a little more. I also put penetrating oil on the surface of the taper and flywheel before carefully aligning the key in assembly.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
So the 1 5/16" socket was the right one? Did a 33mm work also? And what is the torque to put it back on 100-105 ft lbs? I have a 1988 V4 90hp also. Thx.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So the 1 5/16" socket was the right one? Did a 33mm work also? And what is the torque to put it back on 100-105 ft lbs? I have a 1988 V4 90hp also. Thx.

Old thread - Time to start your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.