fuel leak 1995 150 oceanrunner carburated

Where would my motor be leaking if there are no visible leaks at the carbs or fuel pump or anywhere under the cowl yet the fuel bulb will not pump up firm and fuel will run out the rear of the lower cowl and down the midsection,the motor seems to run fine just don't like the idea of wasting gas

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: fuel leak 1995 150 oceanrunner carburated

possibly the fuel pump is leaking into the pulse line, which goes from fuel pump to engine block..if so replace/rebuild fuel pump. you can rebuild only the fuel side on the vro pumps..google vro rebuild kit.

jonesg

Admiral

Have someone pressurize the bulb, you use a good flashlight to look for seeping , check the top of the choke injector, the seals tend to go out regular.
Check all connections. Strong sunlight can make it hard to see, so a dark overcast or twilight helps.

thats whats so wierd,the bulb wont pressurize and its not the bulb itself because i,ve tried a new one,you can tell when everything is full of gas theres a difference in the back pressure on the bulb but its slight and you can squeeze it the rest of the day after that never gets tight I mix my fuel and oil and after i run my motor on muffs the mid and lower unit is covered in fuel.I mean it seems like you would be able to see where its coming from but its not coming from carbs or lines or choke cyl.I've fixed all the obvious small leaks.theres no fuel where the lower cowl meets the engine.I haven't taken the lower cowl off yet is there somewhere below the obvious motor cavity where it can leak fuel.The motor runs great.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

take the airbox off and then squeeze the bulb..... you will be able to see most of the connections....I had a connection that would spray fuel when the bulb was pressurized and I couldnt see it with the airbox on..

also those carbs seems to leak out of the side where the brass shot is used to plug a construction hole when they make the plastic bowl of the carb...i have had two that leak like crazy.. also fuel can drain out of the carbs when you tilt the motor.. this is supposed to run into the airbox and then out of the airbox via a hose connected to the crankcase..

make sure that is connected at both ends other wise that extra fuel-oil is running into the inside of the cowling

BOB

SparkieBoat

Captain

if you have not taken off the airbox you cannot see the carb openings, tilt motor up some and see if one of them has a stuck needle valve..if you cannot find the leak see post #2 again as this is a common problem.

Thanks guys I removed carbs and repaired where a cxouplr of them were leaking past the brass shot.There are no visible leaks anywhere.If it were leaking into the pulse line would it still run great?

SparkieBoat

Captain

it could still run ok..I would think it would start starving for fuel at some point though..pull the pulse line off and pump the bulb..this may tell you if it is your problem..if it is leaking fix it before using motor again.

Ok finally got around to removing pulse line no leak whatsoever,what next should i pull the bottom cowl cover off or just not worry about it since its runnin good?I just hate the thought of wastin fuel,It uses a LOT of fuel but the local johnson dealer told me that motor is going to burn at least 3 gallons of fuel idleing no matter what.

jonesg

Admiral

Does the bulb pump up firm now?
If not, the floats are not working properly. Assuming you have no visible leaks.
Observe the arrow direction on the bulb, it helps if the arrow on the bulb is pointed UP vertical.

thanks jonesq no the bulb does not pump up firm so if there are no visible leaks and a float is stuck or needle valve is messed up would it still run great?I can tell when the system is full theres an allmost imperceptible difference in the hardness of the bulb The motor will smoke a LOT upon startup I premix I guess thats just the extra fuel in one or all of the cylinders.Do I need to check all my needle valves.Oh yeah this model does have the O I S ignition sys The quick start works like its supposed to and idles down but in mr opion it still idles high pushes my 1976 seacraft about 2 or 3 miles an hour at idle a little fast for trolling

jonesg

Admiral

thanks jonesq no the bulb does not pump up firm so if there are no visible leaks and a float is stuck or needle valve is messed up would it still run great?I can tell when the system is full theres an allmost imperceptible difference in the hardness of the bulb The motor will smoke a LOT upon startup I premix I guess thats just the extra fuel in one or all of the cylinders.Do I need to check all my needle valves.Oh yeah this model does have the O I S ignition sys The quick start works like its supposed to and idles down but in mr opion it still idles high pushes my 1976 seacraft about 2 or 3 miles an hour at idle a little fast for trolling

If the bulb isn't allowing backflow, it sounds like a float isn't closing off the needle that fills the bowl.
Carb kits come with that needle and needle seat, some kits include the float too.
I have the same engine, they do idle too high for trolling unless you do S's to slow fwd motion down.
Thats why I bought an old 10hp for a kicker.
Mine idles around 700rpm in gear.
If yours is idling higher the rpm can be turned down by adjusting the timing.

If you haven't done the carbs in a while its not hard on that engine, the throttle body remains on the block, no need to touch the link and sync adjustments, just pull the carb bodies off. It actually takes longer to remove the carbs than it does to rebuild them, they're very simple.
Install the new parts, run wire thru the jets and stick em back on with supplied gaskets in the kit.
If it has the plastic carbs like mine don't soak in cleaner, just spray w/ carb cleaner and do it by hand.

Gulfsurfer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys I removed carbs and repaired where a cxouplr of them were leaking past the brass shot.There are no visible leaks anywhere.If it were leaking into the pulse line would it still run great?

Can I ask how you repaired the leaking brass shot plug?

I think I have the same issue on one of my plugs...was thinking JBWeld epoxy but I may not be able to get the area clean enough for a long term repair...

SparkieBoat

Captain

clean the area good with a degreaser and a q-tip, jb weld will work fine