76 Evinrude 135 - CHAMPION Ql77JC4 correct plug?

mitchum10

Cadet
I've gone through the all the posts I can find and still can't seem to come up with what type of plug I should be using on my '76 Evinrude 135hp?

I've tried the NGK ones with the resistors and they foul out.

So, I'm sort of re-posting a question I asked earlier, because the closest thing I could come up with after searching the fourms was this plug:

CHAMPION Ql77JC4

Some of the posts seem to indicate that the surface style plugs are no good... choose a plug you can gap (like a Champion)... And, that the plug they reccomend in the Alymers (spelling?) manual is incorrect???
I just don't know....

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been trying to figure this out now for the better part of 4 months...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76 Evinrude 135 - CHAMPION Ql77JC4 correct plug?

The Champion QL77JC4 plug is the correct plug for the 1976 135hp Evinrude/Johnson.

The original recommended gap was .040 . Later on, around 1990 or so it was changed to a gap of 030. One gap or the other may improve performance either at idle or top rpm. Try both settings.

THe surface gap plugs, regardless of their heat range markings (in my opinion) really have no heat range and tend to foul more so than a plug which can be gapped.

Now, figure no more and go boating :) .

mitchum10

Cadet

Thanks so much for the help... I'll pick up some of the plugs you reccomend.

Funny, on a side note... when I first bought the boat, it ran great in the early Spring, so after about two weeks, I thought I better get it tuned-up - that's when they replaced the plugs.... and all the problems started... coils, packs, etc. replaced... and then when it continued to foul after running good for one day... We figured it must be the plugs. So, I'm guessing the original owner had the right plugs to begin with...

I'll give it a shot and see what happens with the new Champions...

Again, every time I've been on this site, the people have been incredibly friendly and helpful... Thanks again!!!

mitchum10

Cadet

Hi again Joe...

I just wanted to show you what a gentleman said in my first post about this topic... he seems to have a slightly different type of plug he recommends. I've copied his post below:

"The recommended plugs for that motor are Champion UL77V or L16V Surface Gapped plugs (The former have an auxiliary gap)

That aside Resistor plugs should not be used with the OMC CD ignition system. If suppressed plugs are required they must be the low resistance inductively suppressed type . The Champion Q series or NGK Z series for example.

Johnson and Evinrude recommend only Champion plugs.
However the nearest NGK equivalents to UL77V are BUHXW-1 . I have not found an equivalent for L16V

I suggest you use UL77V or if you cannot get Champions BUHXW-1

You seem to be paying an awful lot for plugs! UL77V are only $5.05 US on the BRP parts list
BUHXW-1 only $2.89 from Sparkplugs.com

Even in the UK spark plugs are not as much as you say"

What do you think?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Mitch..... I'm aware of all of the above. My vote goes for the QL77JC4 plugs as I stated previously.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

There you go then do as Joe says he is the one who knows best

I dont know where he gets the info that "The Champion QL77JC4 plug is the correct plug for the 1976 135hp Evinrude/Johnson" but he should know He has been in the business long enough.

FWIW my info comes from http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/BRP/SparkPlugChart2008.pdf

I put a lot of effort into my replies to your parallel thread Less than 1 hour apart. I have deleted it all now.

I did not know I was wasting my time and effort. I was half expecting Joe to chip in there.

It is just not on to run duplicate threads on the same subject .... if you do that sort of thing people wont feel inclined to help you in the future!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Vic..... Somehow I overlooked the duplicate thread, sorry. Pertaining to the QL77J4C plug being used in the 1976 135hp model............

Back when the Magneto Capacitance Discharge ignition first came into existence in 1973, there was a scrambled bit of information and recommendations as to what spark plug worked best in what engine. Actually this confusion went back into the Battery Capacitance Discharge models of 1968 thru 1972.

However, getting back to the later ignition of 1973+...... Having worked on those engines when they were new and trying all of the suggested plugs that were recommended, eventually it boiled down to three variations of the Champion spark plug, the UL77V surface gap plug, the L77JC4 non suppressor electrode plug, and the QL77JC4 electrode suppressor plug.

The UL77V surface gap plug was a cold running plug which had a tendency to foul more so than a electrode plug, hence the alternative L77JC4 plug came into view for those that didn't need any suppression to quiet ignition noise that might interfere with their electronic equipment etc, and of course the QL77JC4 plug for those that did need it. These plugs held true for many years, changing at some point when or after I retired. My retirement had nothing to do with it :) .

The UL77V you recommended does absolutely function better that the QL77JC4 in some engines for some unknown reason. When I say some reason..... it is because I have personally seen where say a 1974 115hp would not run properly on anything but the UL77V plugs BUT another 1974 115hp needed the L77JC4 or QL77JC4 plugs to run properly, a mystery of sorts that I couldn't get a straight answer from factory reps. However, as time drew on (late 70s into the 80s) it appeared that the UL77V was being used less and less and the standard recommended plug became the QL77JC4 plug. Worked out fine for me up to 1991.

mitchum10

Cadet

There you go then do as Joe says he is the one who knows best

I dont know where he gets the info that "The Champion QL77JC4 plug is the correct plug for the 1976 135hp Evinrude/Johnson" but he should know He has been in the business long enough.

FWIW my info comes from http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/BRP/SparkPlugChart2008.pdf

I put a lot of effort into my replies to your parallel thread Less than 1 hour apart. I have deleted it all now.

I did not know I was wasting my time and effort. I was half expecting Joe to chip in there.

It is just not on to run duplicate threads on the same subject .... if you do that sort of thing people wont feel inclined to help you in the future!

My apologies Vic, if you read the post I made on the second thread, I mentioned that I was sort of re-posting because I didn't feel that I had written enough correct information with the first one, so rather than continue a thread that I thought might be "titled" incorrectly, and garner the wrong information, I started a new one... I certainly meant no disrespect to your efforts, which I clearly appreciate. Actually, I was trying to think of some way of combining all the messages into a new thread, so it would just be one thread, but I thought since I'd already got two of them buggered up, I might be best to leave well enough alone!

Again, please accept my apologies... I have great appreciation for individuals like yourself who take the time to write to strangers, and offer a helping hand. I assure you, my error was one of ignorance, not intent.

Regards,

Mitchum Green