1957 Evinrude Fastwin dual hose connector

WEIGLE

Seaman Apprentice
I am having some leakage around my fuel connector. Not only do I hear hissing I see fuel dripping out too. My question is, aren't the valves suppose to be flush with the housing or are they suppose to be recessed below the O-rings as pictured? I think a simple o-ring swap (301824) should do the trick right?

connector.JPG

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin dual hose connector

They are supposed to be below, as shown. Be sure to use the "real" 301824 o-rings. The Sierra Marine ones are the wrong size.

WEIGLE

Seaman Apprentice

Dumb question. . .

how do you remove the o-rings to replace them? With a dental pick?

nwcove

Admiral

not a dumb question weigle, my 57 johnson has the connectors replaced with quick connect couplings which work very well) but i want to put it back to original. hope someone chimes in with answer. and thanks F_R, for the heads up on the sierra O-rings, was gunna order a set from them on monday!

WEIGLE

Seaman Apprentice

'looks like the easiest way is to get a small punch and a helper. Put the connector in a vise and have the helper push the plunger down, then you pull the o-ring out with a pick as they continue to hold. The OMC o-rings are apparently small enough to push in from the front, but the Sierra's are not.

Option 2, is to dissemble the entire rig from the back which some say needs a jig you can make or buy. Someone on here sells a machined jig but for a 1-time replacement it's probably not cost effective.

nwcove

Admiral

thanks WEIGLE, helpers are hard to come by, but thats the way i think i will try it. (might even order a second set of o rings, just so i have one to replace the one that WILL get damaged when i try to reinstall them! lol)