90 mod.48 hp.johnson tilt trim

jrlakeside

Recruit
there is a tilt trim motor on this engine,have not seen one like this before. it does not work .it has a cable coming from the trim motor going to the right side of the motor.it looks like ther used to be a switch of some kind there.and a elect.wire coming out of the bottom of the trim motor,dont believe that it is hooked up eather.My ? is how does this unit work?is this a manual tilt trim of some kind? please help if you can thanks

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 90 mod.48 hp.johnson tilt trim

well since you think there is a trim MOTOR on your engine, instead of a trim CYLINDER....

you might have an OPTIONAL dealer installed TNT unit... that mounts on a bracket that mounts on the stern bracket....really different than most TNT units, thats for sure..I have one on my 1988 48 special....

the unit looks like a motor more than it looks like a hydraulic ram.

it mounts outside the the stern bracket instead of inside...

so come back and clairfy what you think you have...

11w8zcx.png

bob

snel1984

Cadet

Is this TNT unit something you can still get today. I have a 1990 48 HP special. I am looking for something like this.

Teachaman

Recruit

Check out this video that I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83fLXSVQJQ I was having trouble finding info on my 48 SPL power tilt and trim which looks just like the one in the video. I have the SELOC manual which has a decent explanation of how they work, though it did not show the unit that I had. I got the manual at the library and saved myself the money. From what I understand, they are pretty well sealed, and the most common problems are electrical and getting hydrolocked because someone trailered the boat with the motor in the up position. My motor is a 1990. Hope this is worth something.

44foot

Recruit

I have a 90 model Johnson 50 VRO tiller that had lift assist. The ram locked up and cannot be rebuilt. I have a spot on the side of engine where a trim switch could go but has a cover over hole. can I put electric tilt trim on this motor in place of the old assist??? what do I need/ thanks

CocoaBear

Cadet

Folks
I'm having similar problems as several of you are with a tilt assist. Mine is on a 1990, 40 HP Johnson. My problems are two fold. The black clip that attaches to both the treaded rod and the pivoting ball has broken and the cylinder has jammed. How do you get the motor to tilt to get into the area to work on it. I can't see any external pins or shafts to drive out or remove.
I don't have any problem with leaving it down since it's on a pontoon, however I need to change the water pump and the skag is only about a 16" above the ground and it's a 20" shaft.
It feels like I'm lifting the entire stern of the pontoon from the ground and I know the motor only weighs 150# total.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.