Carb rebuild on 1955 evinrude 15hp, special considerations etc?

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So my carb leaks while in transport position (not in lock) and I figured it hasn't been cleaned in a while so I'm going to attempt for the first time to replace everything. I had purchased an evinrude carb kit and have 4 days to do it starting wend. I'm curious what special tools I will need and what things I need to look for while doing this. As far as I know I just remove, clean replace gaskets and replace. Sounds pretty easy but sure it's not so I come to you guys for some research and advice before I get started. I searched and didn't find anything specific to this year and wasn't sure if it's similar to newer carbs. Thanks for all info!!!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Carb rebuild on 1955 evinrude 15hp, special considerations etc?

No special tools required! Just a good screwdriver, some quality carb cleaner, and some compressed air that's all. If your carb leaks during transport, try disconnecting the fuel line from the motor when you are trailering.

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It leaks from the gasket in front of the carb that the high and low needle connect to. I read that people soak the carb overnight, is this recommended? Does anyone have any good walkthrough or video links?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you're saying that fuel is leaking out the threaded portions of the adjustable needle valves, the carb kits contain round packing washers that go in their threaded holes, then the jam nuts tighten them inwards to prevent leakage and to prevent the needle valves from moving due to viberation. Those carbs are quite easy to work on.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

kfa4303

Banned

Here you KRS1. It's not the exact same carb, but it's close enough.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

No real need to soak the carb either. Just get a couple big cans of generic brand carb cleaner from any auto parts store and you'll be fine. Be sure to wear some eye protection too b/c you really dont want that stuff to get in your eyes. Make sure you don't get any carb cleaner on your nice new gaskets in your carb kit as the cleaner may cause them to break down a bit over time. Take your time, go slow and you'll be fine. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two, but the next time you have to do it it be a piece of cake. Good luck. Keep us posted. Don't be affraidto ask questions if you get stuck.

levi_tsk

Ensign

do not over tighten the needles!!!!!! and when you remove them make SURE that the taper on them is smoooth and uniform with no grooves and youll need a BIG screwdriver to get the needle seat out
make sure you use the NON clorinated carb cleaner or it will eat the old aluminum up
- i prefer gunk carb dip, you get it at your big auto parts houses comes in a paint can with a little basket for your small parts and i soaked mine for about 8 hours and then rinsed with water and blew everything out with 25psi of air
- i have a 56 fastwin that i JUST tore the carb down on yesterday if you want ill post some pics up or send em to you ?
ill be reassembling it about the middle of next week when my parts get here

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Levi_tsk pics would be awesome! If you can pm them to me. How to I know if the needles need to be replaced? Any other things I poss need to replace on these regularly other than what comes with carb kit?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I never soak mine over night, just rebuild em. I find it takes longer to re and re em then to actually clean it. If the cork float is old or crumbling be sure to replace it. Actually, I just reread and see you got the OMC kit, it comes with a float. Good. And make sure you remove the welsh plug on ther top and clean out the idle circuit...

levi_tsk

Ensign

get rid of the cork float its trouble just waiting to happen heres the carb kit im getting for mine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0578356970&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
it has EVERYTHING in it
as long as the needles have a nice smooth taper with no ridges on them theyll be fine
run a 24:1 mix in it or youll wipe out the bearings
i dont think so as long as you have good spark
is it the two line system or does it have a fuel pump?

oh and be super careful taking the glass bowl off of the bottom of the carb i broke mine tapping on it so if it doesnt come right off soak it in SOMETHING i think HOT water wouldve been the ticket(they arent cheap at all) and also be careful taking the fuel filter out as it will also break - i twisted mine before i tried to take it out and this worked good as once i got it to turn it came right out

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish I read this post earlier in the week.
Here's a link to a series of vidios rebuilding an older Evinrude.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PistonPumper
Start at episode 19.
It's not to hard to do. For compressed air ,I use canned air
thats used cleaning computers.
Good Luck with Your motor.
Steve A W

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is the same kit I purchased. Thanks kfa4303 that was exactly what I was looking for!!! Should be no problem now unless I break the glass bowl lol. I will do my best to take pictures along the way to help the next person along.

levi_tsk

Ensign

that was my next suggestion is to watch those videos by garry maffei