1976 evinrude 85 hp gearbox oil query

matt85evinrude

Seaman Apprentice
hi, just wondering how much oil should i put in the gear box? and do i fill it up via the little bun located on the right hand upper side of the gearbox unit?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 evinrude 85 hp gearbox oil query

Put an appropriate sized drip tray under the outboard. Remove the drain screw (large slot screw, very bottom of lower unit), then proceed to remove the vent screw. Take note of any metal filings on magnet of drain screw. Also take note of colour of oil removed, especially first to drain. If it is a milky white colour there is water intrusion into the lower unit. Keep motor vertical and let drain. Be sure to use proper marine grade oil. I like the containers that allow for the screw on pump, much easier than the toothpaste type tubes. Attach pump hose to the drain hole, lower hole, and slowly pump the oil until you see it exit via the vent hole. Install vent screw, with new gasket (very important). Remove pump hose and install drain screw (with new washer). Clean up and you're done!

Off the top of my head, I believe it holds 28 ounces, but regardless, keep pumping until oil exits the vent hole.

matt85evinrude

Seaman Apprentice

hi thank you! when draining the oil there was a milky brown running through the blue/clear colour of oil. any ideas? so the bung up the top is just a vent screw and you dont use it for filling up? thanks again!

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right always fill from the bottom screw until it comes out top. replace top screw, then replace bottom screw. and for gosh sakes dont touch the phillips screw.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Correct. Filling from the top would possibly trap air pockets, not completely submerging your gears and the like in oil. Filling from the bottom forces the air out of the vent hole while completely filling your gearcase.

Regarding the milky oil, is this a new outboard to you? If not when was the oil last changed? If new, I would fill with a synthetic oil, and run her. The previous owner may have neglected to change the gaskets on the drain and vent screws, allowing water intrusion into the lower unit. Check it after a run again to test for water and let us know what you find.

matt85evinrude

Seaman Apprentice

yea this motor is new to me so not sure! thanks heaps for your help guys!! i will do the water check and post back! thank you!