Evinrude Marine Battery

oregonmike

Cadet
I have a 1965 40hp Evinrude Model #40553, and am wondering if i can get a deep cycle marine battery or does this type of outboard charge back to the batter during operation?

Thanks,
Mike

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude Marine Battery

I'm not totally sure about this, but, I think most motors with an electric start system have the capability (rectifier) to re-charge the battery. It won't charge quickly though,(I think it's 4 amp) but, it will re-charge.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Don't get a deep cycle battery for starting duty. Get a decent, starting battery with the highest CCA that will fit your available space (battery box)?.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can use a dual duty battery and motor will recharge battery if it still has the generator and belt. You can also adjust charging output as it has the old style point regulator and you can change the cut in & cut out voltages with adjustment screw...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you do have the old style generator and voltage regulator on it, don't try playing around adjusting the regulator. If you don't have the proper test equipment you can end up frying something.

jhebert

Ensign

If your older outboard motor has a poorly regulated battery charging output, do not use any type of sealed battery. These older charger circuits tend to put out too much voltage, which will ruin a sealed battery. Use a conventional flooded-cell lead-acid battery. You can add water to the battery if the charger boils off the electrolyte.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

On those, it's pretty easy to tell if there is a generator mounted on it. You'll see it mounted on the port side, opposite of the starter and a small toothed belt running to the top of the flywheel. The electric shift models are more apt to have a generator, than the standard models, because of the electric shifting. In the electrical junction box, you should have a voltage regulator. Of course, the junction box that is set up for the voltage regulator, is a bit larger than the standard junction box. If your motor doesn't have a generator or voltage regulator, it is still wired to take one. I would follow jhebert's advice on the conventional battery idea also.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If no generator is present a good group 24 battery will make many,many starts before a recharge is necessary. For long life the battery shouldn't sit for extended times partly discharged.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Well I guess a business card, ammeter and screwdriver could fall into the "proper" test equipment tools area as their multiple uses......

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well, I guess you've never worked on any older systems on cars or inboard boats that had generators and voltage regulators on them.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Worked on plenty and tractors too...and have adjusted quite a few also.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, be careful. I don't know about the charging set up for outboards, but I do know that starter systems are completely different than the automotive. I'm sure many have tried to use Ford solenoids in boats and they aren't the same. There may be a slight difference in the voltage regulators too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What did you use? Your business card, ampmeter and a screw driver ??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yes...sometimes needle nose pliers & business card was used as a insulator. Back in the earlier 70's ,we adjusted several of these for the commerical mussel divers on KY lake as they used a large house battery or semi truck battery and they had to stay hot. The air compressor had a relay/contactor on it that if it ran out of fuel or shut down a 12v electric driven compressor would kick on to supply diver air as most of these fellows dove alone. +1 on redneck engineering!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well I guess I should have never worked in that auto-electric shop back in the early 60's where we used the correct meters and did things the RIGHT way. Seening you use your business card and pliers you've probably never heard of Sun Test equipment where you could adjust a voltage regulator properly. Good luck when the cut out relay sticks and fries the generator or the voltage relay is set wrong and over charges the battery or your depth finder goes ape.