Any thoughts on a 1969 25 hp Evinrude Sportsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. I was looking at c-list and stumbled across a running, 1969 25 hp Evinrude Sportster for $300. Does anybody have any experience (goo, bad or ugly) with these guys? I'm trying to talk myself out of getting it, but it's not working :) I would still do all the usual stuff like a carb kit, tune up, impeller, etc...Thanks for any thoughts.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any thoughts on a 1969 25 hp Evinrude Sportsters?

If it's close enough to go and see it, do a compression test and check the lower unit for water. I'd say if it's not beat up to bad, it's worth the money. That's a good size motor for everyday boating and won't break the bank if you do the repair work yourself.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

A very light motor for the power they produce, I think about 81 lbs. for a manual start short shaft. They rev high and were designed to, having a sturdier crank than the 18/20 motors of the same displacement, plus better exhaust tuning via the bypass cover. They are a great motor. The 1969/70 versions still carried that bizzare cowling that was styled for 1961.

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 1969 Johnson 20 hp i bought for 300.00 12 years ago.the guy was 83 years old found it at a yard sale. took a gamble on it got it home done a comp test got fresh fuel and 3 pulls and it started. i have sense let my son use this motor for the fishing boat!!!!! and don't think ill ever get rid of it!!!!! sounds like a nice find!!!! :D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The '69 25 is a good rare engine. It is the 22 cubic inch block that started as the 18 hp in '5 then moved to 20 hp in '66 for Johnson. It is the best weight to hp ratio you will find even compared to today's stock engines as far as I know. It's 50:1 mixture. if you're looking for an engine it's a good pickup. For $300 I would hope it's running to some extent though but definitely do a compression check, everything else is fixable. I have the exact same engine but I got it for parts as it has a bent crank. But I hope to use the larger carb on an older 18hp for a bit of a boost. And the lower unit seemed good.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You won't see a big increase in power from your 18 by changing the carburetor. You could even lose power. They got those 25 ponies mostly by compression increase. And a bigger carb to feed them.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I didn't expect much but wanted to try it as I have many 18's and that 25 carb on the parts engine with the big bore throat... will gps it to see the difference... I assume there was some exhaust mods also that would make a difference that I also wont be doing... As well as compression increase they got a lot of the extra power in revving it higher like the 9.9 vs. 15's. And none of these I will be doing, but just wanted to see what actually did happen...

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The weak spot is the cluch dog. And you won't know if it's good or not until you get it out on the water.

If it bangs out of gear, (like hitting a stumo ir log) you have a bad cllutch dog and possible gears. The temp fix it to turn it around, and try not to use reverse.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

I can't speak for the 25 hp, but I have run 4 JohnyRudes from that era. A 1959 and 1967 18 hp and a 40 hp lark and a 1966 33 hp. They have all been great motors. Carb kits and impellers are around $20 and you can find parts for them at any scarp yard dealer for cheap. All of mine were in original condition and I have hardly done anything except carb and impellers. On the 59 18hp I had a leak in the lower unit and I ordered all the gaskets for under $20. They are reliable and powerful. Some call me a liar but I swear that my 66 33hp Seahorse pushes better than the 94 40 merc that it replaced.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You replaced a '94 Merc with an '66 Johnson? Excellent!

Kapena

Recruit
Hello...I still own a mint 1969 25hp...has always run well, only thing it's ever needed were spark plugs, tuneup kit, thermostat,
waterpump, and gearcase oil. In the early 70's I built a 10ft Clark boat for my brother...had the boat clocked at 47 mph with a
2 blade racing prop...then it went on my dad's 15ft Old Town. Like someone else mentioned, this engine was tuned for the
higher RPM range, 5500-6000 range. GREAT MOTOR, one of Evinrudes best, if I could buy another one I would.
Good luck with it.
Capt Joe K

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The higher RPM is not the reason it has more horsepower. It has more horsepower, so it is able to turn more RPM's (with same prop).

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I didn't expect much but wanted to try it as I have many 18's and that 25 carb on the parts engine with the big bore throat... will gps it to see the difference... I assume there was some exhaust mods also that would make a difference that I also wont be doing... As well as compression increase they got a lot of the extra power in revving it higher like the 9.9 vs. 15's. And none of these I will be doing, but just wanted to see what actually did happen...

The difference was a piston with a different wrist pin location. It effectively changed the port timing. It also lowered the compression, which then had to be restored by using a cylinder head with a smaller combustion chamber. The induction system had a bigger carb and improved intake/reeds. Exhaust was unchanged. Well, the Exhaust cover may have been different. Crankshaft was balanced more precisely.
Putting a 25 induction system on the 18/20 will just make for a poor running engine. Putting a 25 cylinder head on one will make for a grenaded engine resulting from detonation due to too much compression

18/20 @ 4500 rpm. 4000 - 5000
25 @ 5500 rpm. 5000 - 6000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.