Evinrude tiller handle 1955 big twin 25 hp

landbaron2

Cadet
Can anyone advise me if a 15 hp big twin tiller handle from the 1950's will work on a 25 hp big twin motor 1955? I have a 1955 25 hp big twin that's missing the tiller handle. Thanks for any help

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude tiller handle 1955 big twin 25 hp

Well, a 15hp of the 1950's was called the Fastwin. FD in the Johnson and no, it won't work. If you have a 1955 Big Twin, you'll have to find a tiller handle to fit a Big Twin up through 1958. The later models may work, but I'm not sure. 1954 and earlier, I believe had different kind gears at the connection point. Someone else will probably chime in and give you some more input on this issue. Meanwhile, you can contact these places and see if they can help you, as far as the parts you need.

sea-way.com
engine blade and prop.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The same tiller handle was used on 25, 30, 35, 40, 50, 60, 75, etc for a bunch of years. However the gears were changed around 1956, from stamped brass to the much better cast bronze. Many of the stamped ones got replaced with the cast ones, so what you have to do is identify what you have on the motor side, then match it.

No, motors smaller than the 1955 25hp will not fit.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

As usual FR is correct. I have '54 J25 and a '55 J25 (which also came with no tiller) and they are different. The '54 is stamped and the '55 is brass (much better) and they will not interchange. BUT, if you get the inner gear rod and change it to you can change the whole assembly. To make matters worse, the '55 inner gear rod changed part #'s in mid '55. But I'm not sure how different it is. I ended up getting the inner gear rod and the tiller off a Gale 25hp. It was white but it fit on.

This is all for Johnson's but I'm pretty sure it's identical for the Evinrudes. And if you want it, I have the parts manual for the '55 E25hp. Just PM me with your email address.

autogun

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, I'm new here, and yes , I have learned a lot alresdy. This may not be the proper place to post, but it seems to fit the topic. I have just picked up a '55 Bigtwin 25 Electric without a tiller, I still have the carcass of a Johnson RD-15 ('53-'54) 25hp. What are the chances the tiller arm will be close enough to use on the Bigtwin? Also, going over the Bigtwin, there was no lube in the lower unit. Hopefully it was drained prior to storage, (it has obviously been stored a very long time). I have flushed the gear case with diesel several times and it still comes out almost 'black'. Although it seems to function properly, at least when rolling over, I'm getting the feeling that I should 'crack' the unit for inspection. Is this necessarily true? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The RD tiller should fit on the Evinrude. I'd fill the lower unit with oil and try it if it was me.