1989 200HP Johnson Counter rotating..can I put a standard rotating gear housing on it

SparkieBoat

Captain
I have a 25" 1989 200 HP Johnson Counter Rotating..I can get a 1989 175 HP standard rotating 25" lower unit...any potential problems here?? I am hoping it will bolt up fine.

James R

Commander
Re: 1989 200HP Johnson Counter rotating..can I put a standard rotating gear housing o

The motors all rotate the same way so you should have no problem. The prop rotation is determined by the lower unit.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 200HP Johnson Counter rotating..can I put a standard rotating gear housing o

The only thing you should have to change is the shift rod as a crossflow and looper are different, not all motors rotate the same way...The 87 model 200hp ran backwards for CR!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sparkie, did you check my last comment on your other post ??

SparkieBoat

Captain

roger Boobie thanks, and FAz are there any other backwards motors out there???? or is it just the 87 model 200??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The only other backwards mtrs I know out there were some Mercs built in the late 50's early 60's. They ran backwards to get them to go in a reverse direction. Great engineering, Huh? There are no more OMC mtrs that I know of that ever ran backwards to make a counter rotator other than the 1987 200.

SparkieBoat

Captain

that is freaky..what OMC engineer genius came up with that idea??? He probably got fired, and he deserved it. I just cannot image any reason on the face of this earth to make a backwards motor....but back to removing the carrier...what type of adapter is needed and how do I use it..also are there any other differences to a CR gearcase take down/put back? MY reverse is jumping..could not fix it by adjusting shift cable...shift cable seems to be traveling full length. I was going to just remove clutch dog and flip it over..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sparkie, in all honestly I think you should get an OEM manual. It will tell all on the repair of this g/c to do it properly. They can be a real bastard without it. Been there and done it and always had a manual handy. The adapter you asked about threads on the prop shaft where your prop nut goes and then you attach a big slide hammer to that and start banging on it . This pulls prop shaft and carrier all out at the same time.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check you shift lever bracket(where shift switch mounts) as in 89 they had problems with these as the shaft was braded in place and spot welded and the welds break. When this happens you loose about 1/8 of travel. Very easy to spot if you look at shift rod and pin as lever face will move before shaft moves.... and the engineer that thought of the gear reduction starter and V-6 looper ignition system should be whipped with battery cables.

The adapter you asked about threads on the prop shaft where your prop nut goes and then you attach a big slide hammer to that and start banging on it . This pulls prop shaft and carrier all out at the same time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't too long ago that I had my V6 lower unit apart and the propshaft bearing housing had to come out first, since the propshaft can't come out until the pinion is off the driveshaft. I just used a generic puller and the bearing housing slid out easily, I was expecting far more trouble than it was.

Edit to add - yes, a factory manual is a must for this.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

SEI has new lower units cheaper than a lot of used ones.

SparkieBoat

Captain

thanks Wild..I like the SEI units...I guess I would have to use my old drive shaft and shift rod.

SparkieBoat

Captain

BTW metric...you are correct for a standard rotating gearcase...but for whatever reason it seems that counter rotating gearcases are different...who would have figured that? lazy me didnt read the manual...already rebuilt several gearcases..kinda thought I knew what I was doing...LOL

BTW metric...you are correct for a standard rotating gearcase...but for whatever reason it seems that counter rotating gearcases are different...who would have figured that? lazy me didnt read the manual...already rebuilt several gearcases..kinda thought I knew what I was doing...LOL

OK, I learned something. The counter-rotating unit has a 2 piece prop shaft (they call the forward piece a clutch shaft) vs. a single piece shaft for standard rotation. Makes sense if you stop and think about how the forces have to be transferred.

James R

Commander

Faztbullet.
I didn't know about the '87 200 being bassakwards.
Thanks for getting me straight.

SparkieBoat

Captain

it seems my delima has answered many questions..some we didnt even know how to ask. I have reworked the clutch dog and reinstalled the gears. next question is there any difference in the shift rod height in a CR vs SR gearcase??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No, both the same.

SparkieBoat

Captain

Thanks boobie:)