Evinrude 200 HP "Vindicator" Outboard: Possible Oil Leak

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 200 hp Evinrude "Vindicator" outboard that I've "babied" for 12 years. I fog it every year, change the bottom gear oil, etc. It looks immaculate.

After going to the lake 4 weeks ago, I notice something that really bothers me.

Below the engine block, from underneath the cowling, but well above the prop and lower end, of course, I'm seeing a residue of what appears to be fresh oil.

The oil actually ran down the lower end and onto the floor, leaving a residue of what appears to be about 15 to 20 drops of oil.

Where is this coming from? Tell me I didn't blow a head gasket.

I can't seem to get at where the leak is because it's under the block, but inside the cowling before it leads to the lower end.

Ideas?

daselbee

Commander
Re: Evinrude 200 HP "Vindicator" Outboard: Possible Oil Leak

Is this relatively clran oil? or it burned?

If clean, sounds to me like you have developed a small fuel leak. The gasoline evaporates and the oil builds up and runs down the leg. It is very easy to pull those lower cowls. I would do that, looking very carefully for a fuel leak. Pump the primer bulb as you look, to try to force fuel out. Look around the fuel pump, under the carbs, and around the primer solenoid.

You haven't blown any head gasket.

If burned looking, you may have a powerhead base gasket leaking.

You don't say where the oil is, front of leg, rear of leg....

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 200 HP "Vindicator" Outboard: Possible Oil Leak

It is possible you may have a broken hose coming from the bottom of the air silencer. The silencer gathers the "spit back" from the carbs and this unburned fuel/oil drains to the bottom of the silencer where it is routed to the intake manifold where it is sent back to the intake of the mtr.