My 55 15 hp Evinrude won't start after changing gear oil

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I couldn't post in my previous thread so here I go again! Continuing from working on a 55, I changed the lower unit oil properly and it all went smooth. I went to start it and it fired up first pull making a grinding sound like it was between gears. So I shut it down and made sure it was in neutral, I tried again and it repeated the previous. So I double checked it all and went for a third try and it wouldn't start:( I have no clue what's up this motor is new to me but starts first pull everytime. I kinda makes a grinding sound when pulling the cord but not sure if I'm just freaking out. I don't think I flooded it either

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: My 55 15 hp Evinrude won't start after changing gear oil

When changing the gear oil, did you drain it using the phillips head screw in the gearcase, or the slotted screw?

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Used the flathead where is said drain. I know I did it right the way the manual stated. I'm just worried about the grinding sound. WTF? Any ideas? I can't mess with it for three days de to being at work.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but I can't imagine anything that could relate changing the oil to a grinding sound. Unless you have found an entirely new way to mess up the job, they must be a completely unrelated coincidence. Some people get all the luck.

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok without me doing the oil what does this problem sound like to you ?

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could running it in a barrel cause this? Possibly not getting enough water into the shaft hole intake?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Why not let us know how deep it was in the water???

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well above the cavitation plate.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Probably unrelated but was it above the big rear 5th bolt holding the LU on and was it pumping water when you ran it?

Krs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I let it run for maybe 5 seconds at a time so it didn't spit any water and I don't k ow what the Lu bolt is. Btw thanks for the manual!! I tried to start it with flooding procedures and no luck either. Does anyone know a good mechanic in san Diego? I would like to midigate the problem on my own before it comes to that though lol