1993 Evinrude 28 HP issue

the scab

Recruit
I have a 1993 Evinrude 28 HP model E29ESLETD that won't run properly . With primer off the engine will start and sputter out after 1-3 seconds. If I turn the primer on (red switch near carb counterclockwise) then the engine will start, idle, and rev up in neutral just fine but will bog down when in forward gear. I can putt around but that's it. I have adjusted the mixture control to all settings (in/out) with same result. What is approx mix control setting? any thoughts on this issue? could it be a vacuum leak? should i try bypassing the primer all together? check for fuel in the float? maybe carb jets? boat has been sitting outside for aprox 6 months. I put in some new fuel.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1993 Evinrude 28 HP issue

Welcome to iboats.

First of all, until you sort this out DO NOT run the engine, there is obviously a problem and you may be ruining it, if it isn't getting gas it isn't getting oil either.

I could be wrong but there are no adjustment screws on the carbs, they went to fixxed jets back in the early 80s and unless you are very well versed in how to do it turning screws on a carb is a really really bad idea, I believe you were turning the cover scews to the jets, again I am not familiar with your engien so I can't say for sure.

Start with the free stuff first, do a compression check and a spark check and make sure you have both of them, you will need a compression gauge and a spark checker,no the plugs sparking doesn't really mean alot, it has to jump a 7/16 gap on a spark checker.

If you have compression, generally 100+ and all cylinders within 10%, and spark it is more than likely a fuel problem like dirty jets.

No do not bypass the primer, it is the choke for the engine and with out it it will never start, they put all those things on there for a reason and they need to stay there.