1988 Evinrude 8 hp shifter

sailingMel

Cadet
My 8 hp Evinrude will not stay in forward gear. Is there an adjustment for the shift mechinism. I cannot seem to see how it is rigged and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Mel

James R

Commander
Re: 1988 Evinrude 8 hp shifter

The assembly is shown in drawings.Go to boats.net and plug in your motor. Look at Mid section and Gear.
If the unit is jumping out then it is probably due to wear, either in the box or the shift linkage. There does not appear to be any adjustment.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Different system in the gearcase to mine but otherwise the same up top.

No adjustments! The shift rod rotates. It's not a push/pull action like most

You say does not stay in forward gear. Does the shift lever actually move back to the neutral position and can you hold it in gear with the shift lever

If so I think I'd be looking at the shift cam #29 .
Otherwise the drive balls #33 the spring #10 and what they call the clutch dog #12

DIAGRAM

Check the prop and its drive pin #51. Problem there with mine with the collar through which the pin fits breaking up

sailingMel

Cadet

You nailed it Vic...it's the spring and those little ball bearings that gave up. Now I ask... how do you get the pinion gear out so you can get the horizontal shaft out to get to that spring assembly?
Again...thanks for the great input! Mel

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You nailed it Vic...it's the spring and those little ball bearings that gave up. Now I ask... how do you get the pinion gear out so you can get the horizontal shaft out to get to that spring assembly?
Again...thanks for the great input! Mel

I dont think you do. The propshaft comes out before the pinion and forward gear.
I expect it has to be in neutral or reverse so that it pulls out of the forward gear.

(Mine has conventional dog clutch between the gears!)

sailingMel

Cadet

Great onfo, but my problem is the dog (#12) is stuck in the shaft and will not move and the shaft will not come out. I found the ball bearings in the bottom of the case and the shaft will not release from the forward gear. I am concerned that if I force it out, I will break something and will render the foot into so much junk. Any ideas on how to porceed would be greatly appreciated. This is a great forum and I appreciate all the expert advice.
Thank you...Mel

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I have the 1990 motor version...and an OEM manual. Everything looks the same as yours.

I will quote the 3 lines of d/assy instructions:

1) remove the 2 gearcase head screws.
2) Tap lightly on the ears of the gearcase using a wooden dowel and mallet until the gearcase head has rotated 10? or 15? deg in either direction.
3)Remove the propeller shaft assembly from the gearcase.

Since you are presumably past 1) and 2) and are stuck at 3) there is not much extra help in 3)../.:rolleyes::confused:

If/when I have to do this with/to my motor, after saying all the appropriate 4, 5 and even 11 letter words, I'd just use a soft face dead-blow hammer and gradually increasing brute force; I don't think that you have any option, and that is what a shop would do, I am pretty sure.
There should not be any risk of further damage if you are careful and don't use too big a hammer. ;)

My interpretation of the drawing is that there has to be a problem with #12 for the balls to have come loose (not cheap)..and the shift cam looks like the weak link, so you will probably be replacing that as well.
Hopefully the bore in the prop shaft is OK because they aren't cheap either.

BTW, there are supposed to be 4 of those drive balls, so if you don't have all 4, the remainder may be jammed between the prop shaft bore and the dog and that is what is causing the binding.

sailingMel

Cadet

OK, It's amazing what a hammer will do! Like I said, I found 2 ball bearings in the case, I noticed there are 4 of them in the assembly drawing. It turns out the 2 in the forward gear had sheared in half and were binding in there. I put a vice grip on the prop shaft and with a few good sharp hits with a hammer, it all came apart. Now to find 4 new balls! It looks like a real challenge to get it back together, but at least I got it apart. Any tips on reinstalling this shaft with the spring loaded balls on it would be VERY helpfull.
Once again, I thank you for your expert input. This forum is fantastic...and the people on it make it that way!
Mel

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Glad to hear you got it apart. I'd read your earlier post (#6) and was rather stumped for ideas!
Incredible that the balls can break in two!

I guess you'll make sure you have always slowed the motor right down to idle when engaging gear to try to avoid a repetition

I wonder too if it was discovered to be a poor system because eventually (1997) they went back to the dog clutch system like the earlier models (1987 and prior)

Can't help with the reassembly I'm afraid ... you'll have to get Tim Frank to read you the next section of his manual. It cant be too much of a puzzle though.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

It's apart now, that's the first hurdle. :D ;)
I would be looking for advice from one of the experts in here on what you should be changing out at this point. In my (less-than-expert) opinion something had to have failed in its job in order for this to have happened, and unfortunately there may have been collateral damage. Any indication of the root cause of the failure?

Check the gears carefully for any damage to their teeth from shrapnel, and check the ball-seats really carefully for any rounding of the edges. Do the balls engage in that gear (#15) or in the prop shaft bore...i.e. does the dog simply nest in a short bore or is that dog sliding a bit to move the balls to the appropriate position? Judging by the fact that there is a spring, I suspect it is the latter which may be bad news for the prop shaft...crossing my fingers for you .
I'd change the cam #29 just because it is cheap and you have the case open.
The other parts are more expensive and a tougher call....I'd be most worried about the dog #12 and any damage to the prop shaft bore where it nests. (if I am interpreting the drawings correctly).

I am not convinced this is as robust a design as on my older E/rude a '75 6HP. Did a l/u reseal on it and the major components were near-pristine.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I wonder too if it was discovered to be a poor system because eventually (1997) they went back to the dog clutch system like the earlier models (1987 and prior)
Agree 100%.

Can't help with the reassembly I'm afraid ... you'll have to get Tim Frank to read you the next section of his manual. It cant be too much of a puzzle though.

No problem. It is just a straight reversal, but let me know if you need any of the instructions.
You may also want to change out the 2 seals on the gear case head.

sailingMel

Cadet

I agree too. That is not a great design. After looking at this, I see that the prop must have taken a hit and instead of a shear pin letting go, the next thing in line is those balls. When in gear the balls kind of jam up to an ear cut into the bore of the gears and engages the gear. As the spring loaded dog is moved fore and aft by way of the cam it retracts those balls for neutral and then pop back up to reverse or forward gears. The only damage in my case is a little scrape around the prop shaft caused by the balls shearing. Part #29 is in great shape as is the #12 dog and spring. There is no damage to the gears in any way either. I should be able to get those balls and the gaskets and make this work.
Thanks again for the assistance
Mel

sailingMel

Cadet

First, I want to thank you all for the informative input. I get this engine that had been sitting for years and managed to get it running quite well. Then the lower end thing...That worked out well too. It was a challenge to get it put together right, but I figured is out. The shifter part #29 has to be in the neutral position. I loaded the reverse gear with the balls and used some grease to hold the other 2 balls for forward gear. If you VERY carefully slip in in place, the balls stay where they belong and you can slide the cover on and tighten it down. It took a few tries to get it right. You can tell when the cover slides on if it feels rihgt.
NOw my "new" problem...The kill switch is broken and someone cut the wires. I have no idea where they went and can't find a wiring diagram of it. I can't shut the engine off now. It runs so good it won't quit. Any suggestions how I can rig a kill switch?
Thanks, Mel

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

My manual (1989) has two diagrams, one for 1) model 8 SLR and one for 2) model 8 R with AC

They are essentially the same and not complicated.
The kill switch wires for both are black from the switch (two of them)

For 1) One black changes to a yellow/black checkered wire at a connector plug and continues up under the flywheel. The other black runs to the coil for #2 cylinder.

for 2) One black changes to a yellow/black checkered wire at a connector plug and continues up under the flywheel. The other black runs to the coil for #1 cylinder.

If you really need the actual diagram, I can scan it, but for some reason it is 11" x 17", & will be a bit of a chore....especially since there is not really much to it . ;)

Let me know if the description above is not enough to solve your problem.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I think you will find that the '89 model is a bit different to earlier ones in having the power pack under the flywheel

From the parts diagrams the '88 model looks the same as my '84 model, with the power pack mounted on the opposite side of the engine to the coils

My kill switch has two dark gray wires,

One is grounded at one of the coil mounting screws..... (That's what the connection to the coils is, just a ground connection) The coil ground is the same place.

The other goes to the three wire connector that also carries two red wires to the coils. It appears to be connected through the connector to a black and yellow wire coming from the power pack.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I think you will find that the '89 model is a bit different to earlier ones in having the power pack under the flywheel

From the parts diagrams the '88 model looks the same as my '84 model, with the power pack mounted on the opposite side of the engine to the coils

My kill switch has two dark gray wires,

One is grounded at one of the coil mounting screws..... (That's what the connection to the coils is, just a ground connection) The coil ground is the same place.

The other goes to the three wire connector that also carries two red wires to the coils. It appears to be connected through the connector to a black and yellow wire coming from the power pack.

The Connection at the coil in both scenarios that I outlined are indeed just ground connections.

The other wire seems colour-coded the same way....black/yellow.

Is/was the kill switch for this at the handle end like mine, or is it a push-button somewhere else?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes on the tiller end. Only difference is that mine does not take a safety lanyard. That did not appear until a year or two later

1991 I think you will find when they changed the design of the tiller and put the kill switch on the side of it.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Should be pretty sttraight forward thenm.
with any luck the connector is still there and he can "plug and play".

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

OH dear.

Just been looking more closely. '88 is not the same as '84 . There is no three wire connector on the '88. Two wires go directly from the power pack to the coils.

Therefore do not know where to find the black and yellow wire ( assuming we are still looking for a black and yellow ).

I reckon it must be on the five pin connector. That's a four pin connector on 84 models , if you see what I mean, so maybe its the extra wire.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Probably red/blue...and red/green...according to my diagrams.
There is also a black wire,,,and that goes direct to the coil ground.