Evinrude 250 H.O. Smoke

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class
went out on the ranger 520 yesterday and my gut dropped when i started my engine and a HUGE cloud of greyish white smoke bellowed out of the top cover, it ran a little rough for a second, and then all better....

when i mean huge cloud, i mean HUGE, covered thoe whole boat and was 5-7 feet high... then the rest of the day it ran perfect and never overheated....

any thoughts??? i hate going to the dealer cause my boat stays there for 2 months everytime...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 250 H.O. Smoke

If it was my mtr I'd take the hood off and try it again. Maybe you can get an idea where it's coming from.

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

the problem is it just did it once, like a fluke thing, we tried to make it do it again but no luck...

proaudioguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Speaking from the POV of someone with extreme Etec envy, I'd take it to the shop and have them go through it. I am pretty sure that engine isn't supposed to do that. I can easily get my engine to do that if I shove the right stuff down the carb barrels.

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How long since u ran it last? I can get a nice cloud off my 70 after I burn off fogging oil. I kno it's not spring yet, but saying a bunch of old semi gelled oil could easily do that. Or has it been worked on recently? Moly grease or similar from a build might do same.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Is the battery still charging? Could have been your rectifier/regulator frying. Motor would still run but no battery charging any longer.

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

What the model number..

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

boat is ran 3-5 times a month, (FLW and BASS tour) so it sees PLENTY of hours, and its never been fogged due to im in cali where it NEVER gets under 40*, the charging system works fine, and everything else is perfect... ill just take it in to the dealer... hopefully it was just some fluke thing..

you can see the boat and motor at www.veteranangler.com

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A pinched oil return line or sticking regulator can cause this..