Help w year/model 30 hp Johnson

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice
I have just acquired a Johnson 30 hp ouboard. I have looked for year model and make by googling different years w/ pics. I have seen about everything but the one I have. A. It is painted camo so I havent found any external numbers/plates. B. Cant find any internal type of plate/tag that would be an obvious make/serial number. It has a T handle gear shift rather than the typical shifter on the starboard side of the motor. Appears to be at least a 94 or better. Having to replace the impeller( i think) and need to figure out how the get the L/U off. Any advice or potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
B

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Help w year/model 30 hp Johnson

There should be a small silver disk stamped with the serial number on the starboard side of the motor.
The usual pitfall is disconnecting the shift linkage, which is located behind the intake screens.
This thread should be helpful, around pages 4 or 5.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=439307

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I think I saw the disk and disregarded it as the numbers were not what I had ASSUMED.

I found a similar thread regarding removing the LU. Will give it a shot when I get home from work

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

The number on disk I believe you are referring to is 62645612. Any help on the model is appreciated
Thanks

jasper60103

Commander

The number on disk I believe you are referring to is 62645612. Any help on the model is appreciated
Thanks

Yea, a J/E dealer should be able help you determine the model year from your serial number.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That would be either a 1987 or 1988
Possible models include, but not limited to:
1987 30RCU (rope start, short shaft)
1988 30RCC (rope start, short shaft)

Last edited:

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks FR. It is a long shaft/ rope pull

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Rope pull on a 30hp? I hope your shoulders are in good shape.:eek:

jasper60103

Commander

I have just acquired a Johnson 30 hp ouboard. I have looked for year model and make by googling different years w/ pics. I have seen about everything but the one I have. A. It is painted camo so I havent found any external numbers/plates. B. Cant find any internal type of plate/tag that would be an obvious make/serial number. It has a T handle gear shift rather than the typical shifter on the starboard side of the motor. Appears to be at least a 94 or better. Having to replace the impeller( i think) and need to figure out how the get the L/U off. Any advice or potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
B

You say it has a shifter on the tiller handler?
My '87 Johnson 30hp didn't come with one. I'm jealous:D
correction: '88 Johnson 30hp.

SDC12520.jpg

skybobber

Banned

Seems to be between a 1990 J30RLESS and 1999 J30RLEEC

Impeller Part# 395289 or some places list it as 0395289

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

jasper
it looks just like this motor, but the gear handle is on the front side opposite of the tiller. A T handle mounted in front and then there is a shaft that goes straight back into the lower "cowling" and links up with the gear shift on the inside rather than the outside.

I finally got the L/U off, just took some luck and positioning. The impeller looks new, hasnt been run since last water pump changeout 3-4 year ago. The upper linkage nut is supposed to have a split ring/retainer? that you have to get off before you can take this nut off and remove the water pump housing. I can not for the life of me find it. I have read on threads here that it is small, but dam, Does this nut have to move up the shaft to get to this retainer, otherwise I am looking at a repair shop to do what I should be able

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

I dont think it is this model in the pic. The linkage (small shaft) comes apart in behind the intake screens. The top brass nut is male and screws directly in the lower nut/female. There is no smaller shaft between the two as in the schematic? If I could get the male nut off I would be golden. I cant fiure out how t get it off, just spins on the shaft?

jasper60103

Commander

I replaced my water pump last spring. The nut is held on by a keeper per the diagram. You have to slide the nut up a little to remove it.
Maybe someone with a newer Johnson or manual will chime in.

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

I posted some pics under "Help w Johnson 30 w pics" There are pics of the male/female linkage nuts. Doesnt look like the schematic to me?

jasper60103

Commander

I posted some pics under "Help w Johnson 30 w pics" There are pics of the male/female linkage nuts. Doesnt look like the schematic to me?

Yea, I agree those diagrams can be a little misleading. I seen the pics in your other post. There should be a little black keeper (#73) under each nut? You only need to remove the male nut as you indicated.

edit: Grip the nut with some pliers and raise it up. That should expose the keeper.

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks man, I got a wood dowel and hammer and convinced it to move. Amazing how smart you get once you get the things apart. As far as the pump housing, the impeller looks brand new the black housing has no cracks and looks great. The gasket on the bottom does have some very minor pitting but I dont think that would cause a total failure. The plate is pretty clean. I am not sure why I am not getting water. Would I be a total idiot if I hooked water up to the copper pipe that runs up to the block to see if it is clogged. I already checked from the block to the telltale. Its ok. Thanks for all the info

jasper60103

Commander

Glad to hear you got it off. Even though seems like a waste of money, I would replace the entire water pump if it were mine. As you can see, it's takes a little effort to get the pump off. At least you would have peace of mind that you didn't miss something.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track with the water pump test. See video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAJfBKNs7bo

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

I know your absolutely right. I am not a patient person I have been told