Starting from scratch

local825

Seaman
I would like to no if there is a manual that tells you how too re-wire all new gauges, I have a 85 hp evenrude outboard motor with a fuel gauge , a tach guage ,temp gauge and speedometer, I no enough to no that the previous owner didn't have a clue soooo will have to do it right. I have one manual (FISHERMAN'S ELECTRICAL MANUAL)but would like to no is there anything for my specific project..... any help would be highly appreciated........

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starting from scratch

You have the manual that I was going to suggest but, I would add that a service manual for your motor would also be a big help. I do know that you have to be careful how you take electrical power from the motor to run "extra" equipment and I believe a service manual will explain that for you. Keep us posted and good luck with the project!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Few boat manufacturers provide electrical diagrams on any of their products. As such, rewiring boats is sort of a black art.. As was mentioned, a factory engine manual will be helpful to a limited extent-like hooking up either a trim gauge or a tach, but not much else. Most boats today have a main wire harness of 10 or 12 gauge wire running from both battery posts to a main fuse block on/under the dash. That main wire may be fused back at the battery or at the fuse block. Almost all boat type accessories and gauges are typically wired from/to the fuses on that block. That includes the fish finders, horn, gauges, radios, bilge pumps, running lights, etc. Wiring this way eliminates the need to wire through the engine's start switch-that switch has a small fuse and won't handle all that amperage. You don't want to blow an engine fuse due to an accessory overload and find the engine won't start out on the water. Take a little time and you can work your way through it.

local825

Seaman

Thank you guys for all the help I found it very helpful for the most part I am on the right track, I did pick up the 1979 EVENRUDE servivce manual and also the (Understanding Boat Wiring manual)which for the most part has the same info and pictures as (Fisherman's Electrical)same author.Just have one simple question: On a three prong toggle switch you have power,ground and accessory is the acc considered a hot circut or is it for the toggle lights? can run power from power or acc ?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

You power the gauges from the purple wire on the ignition in the control box, the tan wire in the box will be your signal wire for the tach.

As for the temp gauge, it will depend on what brand of gauges you are using, did it come with a sending unit or not? If it did not you are going to have to find one compatible with the gauges you are using, then you will need to plan on where to locate it on the motor.

Fuel gauge will be very much the same as the temp gauge, the correct sending unit is a big priority.