prop removal 1972 Evinrude 2hp mate

highflyer885

Recruit
Hello,

First time posting..new to the site.

Just got a 10' sailing dinghy that came with a 1972 (2202) evinrude 2hp mate, and decided to tidy it up and remove the prop to repaint and grease prop shaft. took the cotter pin out but no joy on getting the prop off.

Been searching for a manual but no luck yet, although I have diagrams of the lower unit etc. The prop is a 3 blade and has 2 holes 1/8" I think in the spinner/cone. Do I need to drive screws in there as a puller to remove the prop, or is it jus plain seized?

One interesting thing about the cotter pin, which I replaced after it got mangled during removal is that the new one wont go in. It appears there is a tab or something in the hole in where the shaft would be prventing the insertion of a new cotter pin.

Any help here or suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Paul

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop removal 1972 Evinrude 2hp mate

There is a rubber bushing under the prop so just pull on the prop and it should come off. Then you'll find the rubber and a clutch hub and a shear pin in the hub which goes through the prop shaft. Go to Shop Evinrude.com and look up your mtr. There's a real good picture of your g/c in there.

allhansondeck

Recruit

Is it safe to apply heat to the prop? Is there a rubber bushing under the prop?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try a whole bunch of PB Blaster. Heat will burn the rubber hub. Read my other post.

Charlie's

Recruit

There is a rubber bushing under the prop so just pull on the prop and it should come off. Then you'll find the rubber and a clutch hub and a shear pin in the hub which goes through the prop shaft. Go to Shop Evinrude.com and look up your mtr. There's a real good picture of your g/c in there.
High flyer I am having the same problem. Did you ever get yours resolved