1995 Johnson 48 hp loss of power

a dupont

Recruit
I have been noticing that the RPM's are reving up and down going from 4K to 2K with obvious loss of power. This seems to happen at any speed so it's not just at WOT. I replaced the fuel hose and bulb, rebuilt the fuel pump. Neither solved the problem. I still belive it is a fuel starvation issue. Could it be the Carbs? Help!

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1995 Johnson 48 hp loss of power

Could you have a spun prop hub? Mark the hub and the prop with a straight line with a "sharpie" pen; run in the water and see if the lines are still together; if not the prop hub is spun and will need to be re-hubbed. Just a guess but this could be your problem. Good luck.

a dupont

Recruit
Re: 1995 Johnson 48 hp loss of power

Thanks for the reply. I actually ran the motor our of the water with "ears on" and the engine was still powering up and down on its own. I tried different rpm's and throttle positions but the problem still persists. I am going to go through the entire fuel system this weekend to see if there is anything I missed. I think the carbs may be the culprit but should know more after I check everything out. Do you think it could be a power pack or some other electrical issue?