vintage evinrude

vertjan

Cadet
I have a 1966-68 65hp V4 evinrude. Great compression, but no spark any suggestions. I was told to get new points. I went to the boat shop they don't sell them. Any suggestion to where I might find some points for it. I have taken the flywheel off and they are a bit rusty. HELP!!!!:confused:

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: vintage evinrude

The 65 4-cylinder was only built in 1968 and the latest price on a set of points is about $65 apiece and you need 2 sets.

The gap should be set to .012" for brand new or .010" for used points.

vertjan

Cadet

Thanks my friend,
I got the message from your kinfolk and replied to him. What do you suggest that may be a problem of not getting fire. I called the guy I got the motor from and he and several others that know him assured me that the motor ran on a boat in early 2009. But sat up until I got it in Oct 2010.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Get an "ignition points file" and clean up the old ones...taking care to keep the contact surfaces parallel. The file is only a couple of bucks!

Mas

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The file deal is a short term fix. New points are typically not flat, but convex AND plated with tungsten.

JBow

Seaman Apprentice

For what its worth I had a 1966 80 HP Evinrude V4 a couple years ago and I bought point sets for it it at NAPA. The did have to order them from there warehouse but they were pretty cheap. They really can get get a lot of old out board parts. I have a 1960 Evinrude lark and they have the coils for it.
Good Luck Jack

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First off, you need to know what motor you have. "65-68" doesn't get it. If you truly have a 1968 65hp, it has battery CD ignition with points. And the points are no longer supplied by BRP, and extremely expensive if you do find some. They are NOT available from NAPA.

Secondly, before you go dinking around, you need to properly troubleshoot the system. It is real easy to make one false move and cost you mega bucks when you blow the amplifier. This is not a place to go charging in blindly.