Outboard air filter/air cleaner ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
Why don't outboard motors have any type of air filter/air cleaner system? At least none of the ones I've owned. I posted this in the J/E section because those are the only brand outboards I'm really familar with. The question on the air silencers got me wondering about this again.

I've owned 15-20 of them and none of them have had any type of air filtering system that I could figure out, anyway. I think any gas-powered motor with a carb, I've ever owned has had some sort of air filter, except for my O/B's.

Examples with air filters...lawnmowers, weed whackers, blowers and I think even my recently purchased but older chainsaw has one.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Outboard air filter/air cleaner ??

Why don't outboard motors have any type of air filter/air cleaner system?
Because they don't get used on dusty roads etc very much!

Dont get grass clippings, dead leaves or sawdust etc thrown up around them either.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

That's kinda what I was thinking....but are you telling me no outboard motor has ever sucked in any kind of foreign particles?

I was also thinking maybe the manufacturers think the air silencer is good enough for keeping stuff out.

I know if I spent $15- $20K on a new outboard today... (never gonna happen :eek:) ...I think I'd feel better if it had at least a cheap foam air filter. Maybe the newer ones have something I don't know about.

robert graham

Admiral

That's it exactly, not much dust out on the water. But if you were operating on a river or coastal area with sand bars or beaches where the wind whipped up the dust or sand to a level that could present a problem for your motor, it would be pretty easy to fabricate some type of oiled foam air filter at the air intake on your cowling or around your carb air box. Good Luck!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't put any air filter on an outboard, since you may change the air/fuel mixture and most outboards are either direct injected or have fixed jets. There's simply no reason for an air cleaner on an outboard. My '07 E-Tecs have none (and neither have any of the dozens of motors I've owned or the 100's I've worked on). If there was a need, the manufacturers would have addressed it years ago.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

About the only thing you might suck in, while out on the water, is a mosquito. It's okay. The guts will add extra lubrication to your bearings:D:D

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I wasn't planning on putting anything on, and never said I was. I guess I'm smart enough to realize that if the several 1950's motors I have still run as good as they do, they don't need me adding anything. Just didn't think it was as simple as the air over water being so much cleaner.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Some of the newer Merc Optimax engines use a paper air filter. The OMC/Bombardier engines use the airbox to reduce noise from the carbs. Adding just a simple, open airbox for sound reduction is enough to change the jetting of the carbs. That's how delicate airflow/jetting is.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is another aspect of engines operating on water. About the only thing that poses any concern of being sucked into the engine is "water". Adding an air filter (whether that be foam, pleated paper, or an oiled medium) is that outboards operate in very humid and wet conditions. That filter will not pass water particles and in humid weather would undoubtedly suffer fuel mixture problems. That level of that humidity by itself is not enough to harm the engine or affect its operation. Besides, the air boxes generally have tuned length passages to reduce intake noise and the engine cowl also has air baffles to prevent stuff from getting sucked into the engine.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

NOW that makes sense to me Silvertip. And I never thought of it.

After boating for almost 40 years, one thing I've learned is your not gonna 100% keep water from getting under the motor cover.

Especially the older motors I run(50's-60's)

Water under motor cover would equal wet air filter. Wet air filter=NO GOOD..... LOL.

Thanks for the replies.

I took an old speaker grill cover from an old cassette player and formed it to fit the air intake in the cowling to prevent insects etc. from gaining entry into the motor. Other than that no filtration. The speaker grill openings are large enough to present no problems with engine performance.

rriggle2

Recruit
Update, 2016 Yamaha F90LA has an air filter. Engine was 8 hours new and dropped from 5800wot to 4700wot and speed from 25 to 18.2. Dealer had it for three weeks and finally found that Yamaha added an air filter and this one had collapsed in on itself. Not sure what they were thinking but they fooled even their own dealers.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Off topic (Yammy in JonnyRude section) and old thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.